What to buy? Feeder fish -

livebearer_breeder

I'm setting up a 150l tank for a solitary fish, I want something medium to large-ish

Must be carnivorous and have personality, I'm thinking cichlid of some type, personal hand fed kinda pet. The main reason is because I have a lot of fish (livebearers, big surprise!) That need to be culled out every month and the freezer method just seems a bit wasteful. Free Food is the best food. Off course the fish won't be fed just on live bearers but i thought it would also bring a small amount of primal excitement for my flat. The moments when the large fish eyes up the smaller fish and then BAM! You know what i mean lol

So my question is..... Any suggestions? previous experiences to draw from etc?

Cheers in advance

150l isnt really big enough for most cichlids that are considered 'wet pets' ie. Oscars, GTs, Jags etc..

A butterfly fish, a nandus nandus and a ctenopoma, with some senegal bichirs would be a pretty cool tank to watch with regards to live food - all those fish however arent cheap.

defently oscars if you want a fish with personality , i had some and when we re arranged the room the fish did nt like it so he re arranged the tank and moved about 40kgs of gravel to one end of the tank also he would not come out unless he liked the person in the room ,like he didnt like my mum and she was like y does it always hide but when i feed him (worms, bloodworms,ox heart, guppys)he practly jumped out of the tank for the food

defently oscars if you want a fish with personality , i had some and when we re arranged the room the fish did nt like it so he re arranged the tank and moved about 40kgs of gravel to one end of the tank also he would not come out unless he liked the person in the room ,like he didnt like my mum and she was like y does it always hide but when i feed him (worms, bloodworms,ox heart, guppys)he practly jumped out of the tank for the food

An oscar in a 150L tank? Yeah they are definitely great at disposing of culls and have personality's but a 150L tank is probably not a good long term home for one :(

YES IM SURE.

you may have seen them living, but there isn't the slightest chance in hell they were happy.

Think of a big boisterous puppy like fish being pent up in a 4ft tank. its sad.

Minimum of a 5ft long tank, wider is better and the height takes secondary importance. This fish likes swimming, digging and rearranging the tank.

Don't forget that they get big too!

a pair of jewel cichlids!!!!!!!

these things rock, would love to be able to have some again

Will decimate any live fish big enough to fit in their mouth almost as soon as they hit the water and have a great personality and look amazing

Realy? i had mine with silvertips, corys & baby kirbs (0.5-1cm) didnt eaven touch them :wink:

my jewels were the most agressive fish i have ever owned, started with 7, until the dominant male killed all except one female. would even attack my finger in the water.

Then again id gaven 2 of his brothers & sisters to a friend and his live peacefully in a community tank with lots of tetras etc, wouldnt harm anything