3.60 meter reef tank at Butterfly creek, Auckland airport.

reef

Discover Butterfly Creek

Just one minute from Auckland International Airport is Auckland’s newest and most family friendly event and entertainment venue, built over an attractive wetlands habitat with expansive views over the surrounding landscape.

The heart of the complex is a tropical Butterfly House, one of the largest in the southern hemisphere that will host some 70 species of tropical butterflies (open mid 2004).

Other features include: a walk-through exhibit building displaying bright and colourful birds, fish and reptiles; Flutterbuys gifts and souvenirs; Buttermilk Farm with all your favourite farm-yard animals; the Red Admiral Express miniature steam train circulating the wetlands, Curly’s Playground and Papillon Bar and Cafe.

Pics of the reef tank. They also have a 10 meter Cichlid tank

3695P1011706.jpg

3695P1011710.jpg

3695P1011711.jpg

3695P1011707.jpg

I had a look. Nice and big is about all that is good about it. I think the substrate is totally wrong. Big coral chunks. Will never look clean and white. Seems to have a dump bucket which would probably blow anything fine around.

The corals should start looking good when they settle in and start growing. Most of the fish were hiding but it always takes time for them to get used to people.

I would love that much space to play with.

When i was out there, i couldnt believe the amount of fish, the surge chamber works wicked, excellent wave simmulation and the green frogspawn photo does not do it justice that is one piece id have in my tank. The Helio sems to be thriving aswell :evil:

It will need time to be better and not sure if i like the rocks out of the tank, maybe if they beaded it lower ?

Alois michael should atleats put the T5's lower ? Arent they a bit useless at that level

yea, the t5s could be lower, will tell get michael to sort it out.

The tank is new so it will take time to mature. i think it could do with more skimming, however they only had a small budget, hopefully once the entry takings increase they will upgrade to a big skimmer.

I think they are going to raise the water level which will make it look better.

• 6 months later...

Here are some updated pics from butterfly creek.

Tank is looking real good and is worth the a visit.

If you look at the photos in Dec 04 you can see that things have really grown.

Tank is covered in coralline algae and all the fish are nice and fat.

P1010622.jpg

P1010617.jpg

P1010621.jpg

P1010613.jpg

P1010607.jpg

P1010605.jpg

P1010603.jpg

Very nice how did they get those nice big corals?

All corals were small and have grown over the last 6 months.

It needs a school of fish.

15 banner fish would be nice and a few morish idols.

Those monti's look great. How big are they?

the yellow tang is about 3 inch so the montis much be over 12 inch in size,