how to tell if your axolotl is male or female?

Jinxy

i have an 11cm axolotl and am getting another one tomorrow, i would like to get the same gender for obvious reasons. I know people say you can't tell until they are at least a year but does anyone know some way (even if its not very accurate) to tell????

:hail: :roll: :roll: :roll:

...oh..and will it be ok to have two (one 10 cm and one 11cm) axolotls together I heard they re real bad cannibals and can eat each others limbs and whole or should I get a tank separator until they are a year old?

:bounce:

i have an 11cm axolotl and am getting another one tomorrow, i would like to get the same gender for obvious reasons. I know people say you can't tell until they are at least a year but does anyone know some way (even if its not very accurate) to tell????

:hail: :roll: :roll: :roll:

...oh..and will it be ok to have two (one 10 cm and one 11cm) axolotls together I heard they re real bad cannibals and can eat each others limbs and whole or should I get a tank separator until they are a year old?

:bounce:

Have they been brought up around other axos? My two were male and female and didn't often fight. Then again i kept them well fed.

Males are more slender. Females are thicker

Have they been brought up around other axos? My two were male and female and didn't often fight. Then again i kept them well fed.

Males are more slender. Females are thicker

yeah my white one came from a tank of 20 but hes/shes been in my tank alone for about a month

the other has come straight from a tank of 2

I introduced the gold one and it walked over to the white and touched it on the side of the tail and the white one dashed of like a bullet. my gold one doesnt mind being touched with the giant tweesers but the white one always freaks out

after introducing my new gold to my timid white Quaver yesterday, Quavers been hidding in a corner between a fake plant and the glass standing up on his hind legs vericle, leaning on the glass, is this normal/whats wrong with him???

I have four axy's under 15cm in a large tank filled with driftwood rocks and plants. This gives them loots of places to hide. During the day it is normal to only see 1 or 2 out and about, but come feeding time (8pm) they all come out and sit along the front of the tank.

So its normal for your axy to hide. If one of them does lose a leg or gill don't worry too much as it will grow back fairly soon, if however one is the subject of repeated attacks you may have to separate them.

Hope this helps, :D .

as reptilez said the male will have a big lump behind legs female wont. Give them time to get use to each other mine were bnive to each other for a few months but my new one has started to bite off legs so now her front half has no legs so she can only use her back legs to hold onto things. :-?