Rosy Barbs

Caryl

I am going to have a go at breeding rosy barbs outside in a pond. I bought a 183cm x 38cm kiddie paddling pool from the red shed and filled it with water. 5 hours later it had reached 24C already! Same temp as my tank.

I then gathered a pile of plants from the local waterway running through the public gardens and have anchored them down with rocks.

pondreadyforfish.jpg

Next I have to catch the 10 rosy barbs I have swimming about in the 4ft lounge tank. Boy are they zippy!

Looks great Caryl, our flat just purchased a 180X60 paddling pool that i thought would be cool setup as a discus biotype tank similar to what you've setup there. Just need some way of suspending a few heaters and some good powerheads for circulation.

All the best

Bang them in Caryl.

As long as they aren't in to warmer tank inside

Maybe use a unheated tank for a week inside until the stupid weather settles down.

They were outside thru a Waikato and also a whakatane winter up this way.Now that IS a fish I would say is a cold water fish

Now isn't that something for me??

Alan 104

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Did you have any luck breeding the rosy's outside.

we have bred alot of rosy's but we have always done it at tropical temperatures (25-26 C) we put the rosys in a tank with heaps of plants. and a plastic grid on the bottom to keep them away from the eggs. We remove the rosy's after a few days, and usually end up with so many fry that we have to thin them out by feeding 1/2 or 3/4 to our gourami fry.

I have managed to put 8 of the 10 rosy barbs into the pond on Dec 27th. The other 2 are still zipping around the tank unconvinced they are heading for spawning heaven and evading the nets with ease. Will let you all know if I find lots of fry in the pond at a later date. The ones in the pond are zooming about through the plants and have lots of live food in with them.

• 2 months later...

Time for an update. I started emptying the pool today. So far I have caught 6 of the original 8 added (but I know the other 2 are zipping around in the pool sniggering at my attempts to catch them) plus 72 fry. These vary in size from 0.5cm up to 2cm and seem to be from 3 different spawnings, judging from size.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the job and give a final head count. 8)

Here they are (the small ones only) in a bucket...

babyrosybarbsinbucket.jpg

Finished the job today. I now have slimey green concrete :lol: and an empty pool.

Final head count - the 8 originals plus today's count of 54 fry makes a grand total of 126 fry. There were probably more but we got sick of catching them and some were so small they were hard to see so are possibly floating about in the driveway from when we tipped the pool up to get the final water out. :cry:

They are now inside in an unheated standard size 3ft tank with a Shark internal filter. Not sure if the small ones will survive in there with the parents but never mind. :-?

The plants were just big clumps of oxygen weed pulled from the park and weighted down with rocks. They survived well (until I pulled them out of the pool, they are now a bit dried out) and stayed healthy despite not being planted in substrate.

We did pour it through nets! The biggest problem was the build-up of mulm on the bottom. Luckily the barbs kept trying to wriggle their way up through the muck in the bottom of the nets. Boy can they jump! :lol:

When we tipped the pool up it only had a small amount of water left in it.