Substrate questions....

Baroness

Sorry I know some of these questions have been asked before

How deep should substrate be in a tank that is going to be heavy on plants?

And I know there is no right answer but is coarse sand better than pebbles?

Will the sand from my local landscapers be OK? Its a yellowish coarse sand usually for sand pits...

and what are the pros/cons of lighter vs. darker colours for substrate?

TIA

How deep should substrate be in a tank that is going to be heavy on plants?

At least 2inches.

is coarse sand better than pebbles?

depends on the plants you grow, but sand like daltons propagating sand is cheap, looks great and is perfect.

Darker substrates bring out the colours of the fish better and looks more natural in a planted tank. Although in a true planted tank there should be plants on the gravel so you don't see it :P

LOL

ok so there are lots of rules to planting a tank

all are meant and are broken

every one has a differeing opinon but I have found this useful

put fertiliser base on bottom of tank..say a cm thick

then sand about 2-3 cm

and then a layer of fine gravel 2-3 cm

fine gravel helps poo settle into sand and become fertilser and stops sand becoming dislodged when do water changes.

also IMO looks better

colour can be an indication of pH. you need to select to best suit your plants acidic, nuetral or alkaline

Navarre it right. For fertiliser, you can use JBL Aquabasis Plus, because apparently it's super-good and it doesn't cost a fortune. Then there's latarite, and belive me that stuff will make you broke! But it's really rich in iron though, so a little bit wouldn't hurt. Same thing with the price of Seachem substates too, but they're quite good. Dalton't Aquatic Mix it good too, but make sure that you cover it with LOTS of substrate otherwise it will cloud the water and it will be next to impossible it get rid of that problem once you have it. If you do use the Dalton's, never stir your substrate or vaccume it with a gravel cleaner. If you are having plants, I highly recommend CO2 injection. It made a HUGE difference in my tank. The best way to do it is by using CO2 Nano Pollen Glass diffusers. They're better than ladders ect. Also they are good for DIY systems.

yes I never vacum the substrate in my tanks and in the big discus tank only water change mid water collum

this stops substrate being disturbed and fouling water and also allows excretment to become plant food.

there is some risk around anearobic pockets but with good plant growth the roots take care of this quite well

Over time...a number of years the substrate goes quite dark under the gravel and this is also a good sign in my tanks as this is the mulm feeding the plant roots

Just in case the idea of c02 and fertilizer is a bit daunting, I have a well planted tank (including amazon swords) with no soil or anything under the gravel (grey grit from HWFF) and no c02. I also have only 1x t8 tube on a 155L tank. The only special thing i do is chuck a bit of liquid mico-nutrient fertilizer every now and then. I have no problem getting decent growth and everything looks healthy, in fact my big sword is out growing the tank and reproducing like mad!

Yes I, as those who know me, also run a low tech crypt and sword tank.

this is a standard 3 footer with 2 old tubes and no filter pump or co2.

and very few fish.

SO while those other things are nice they are not a must.

go with how it looks match and balance are the key

Nav

Oh come on don't be lazy! A 3liter juice bottle, some sugar, water, yeast, a bit of tomato sauce, a check valve and a length of airline! If you don't want to pay the $20 or so extra dollars to order a Pollen Glass diffuser, then just ram the airline into the filter outlet or cut/drill a hole into it if it's a hose of some sort. Then shove the airline into the hole. The mixture lasts for up to 3 weeks!

yes I never vacum the substrate in my tanks and in the big discus tank only water change mid water collum

this stops substrate being disturbed and fouling water and also allows excretment to become plant food.

there is some risk around anearobic pockets but with good plant growth the roots take care of this quite well

Over time...a number of years the substrate goes quite dark under the gravel and this is also a good sign in my tanks as this is the mulm feeding the plant roots

+1

Nothing to add.

I do want to run DIY CO2 in my tank....where do I get a 'pollen diffuser' from? since you reccommend them :wink:

I also use DIY CO2. It works very well.

You can use a venturi system : plug your DIY CO2 on the outlet of your filter

Really easy to do.

Or, for a better dissolving of the CO2, plug it on the inlet of your filter.