Japanese Fire Belly Newts - Advice On Setting Up & Care Plz

Woohooo!!! Just purchased 2 Fire Belly Newts and had read so much info prior to buying them but would really like some first hand info from people in NZ who've actally got them on setting up their new home, care and feeding as there's so much conflicting info on the net :hail::bow: .

They don't arrive for another week but am told by the current owner that they hardly ever go in the water :o .

PM or Email me Direct please :D

Hiya sneaky2

I saw the thread and read your post (have actually printed it off as a guide) but because the person I'm buying the newts off said his hardly ever go in water I thought I'd start a new thread and that way everyone can get a better idea of starting from scratch setting up tank (mine will be indoors), feeding and caring rather than the sporadic postings by others as they arise.

Perhaps you can help with this as you seem to have a longer history of keeping them than most here on FNZAS :hail::bow: .

I am thinking it's probably best for me to make their new home with about a third of land and rest water but to do this do I build up the base with rocks (as I read elsewhere it's not a good idea to put gravel in tank unless it's bigger than their mouths) until they poke out of water and then cover rocks in moist spagnum and plants. What sort of filtration should I use as they don't like strong currents? And to keep a constnt temperature in the tank would it be advisable to put a heater with cover in tank? These are the types of things I was hoping you and others who've had experience could put on here as I did a search of the site and there's hardly any postings on Fire Belly Newts.

I have also saved several websites to my computer and will copy and paste these to this thread also but nothing like hearing it straight from those with experience here in NZ :wink::D