water characteristics

killifan

There are two types of hardness 1) gh or generall hardnes, this is a measure of the total dissolves minerals in your water. 20 kh carbonate hardness, this is a measure of how easily your water will fluctuate in ph. It is not essential to know these figures (I went two years without having a gh/kh test kit) but they can help explain certian things (eg. why your tank keeps changing in ph)

lol I don't really know the answer to that quetion. I guess that is why I left it so long withough buying a test kit. There is a general rule if the water is too hard (gh) you can do water changes with ro or ro/di water this will make the water softer. You can also add peat to make water softer (but i think it also makes it more acidic). If the water is too soft JBL do a product called aquadur, but it is expencive and I have never seen a fish store holding it in stock. I don't think there is a maximum kh should be but generally is always lower than gh (which should be 4-7 dkh or about 60-100 ppm). If you want to increase kh aquarium pharmasuticles do proper 7.0 which is supposed to contain kh additives

good luck

Daniel