Oak leaves & pH questions

Sophia

I thought I would look into naturally lowering the pH of my water with oak leaves.

I have 15L of water in a bucket with 4 oak leaves that sunk after a couple of days. On day 2 there was no change in the pH, and after a week it's the same. After a week the water was slightly yellow. So is it a bit of a myth that it does lower the pH or does it take longer?

Next question: the pH tests at the highest end of the normal pH kit and at the lowest end of the High pH kit - does this mean it's somewhere in the middle?

I thought I would look into naturally lowering the pH of my water with oak leaves.

I have 15L of water in a bucket with 4 oak leaves that sunk after a couple of days. On day 2 there was no change in the pH, and after a week it's the same. After a week the water was slightly yellow. So is it a bit of a myth that it does lower the pH or does it take longer?

Next question: the pH tests at the highest end of the normal pH kit and at the lowest end of the High pH kit - does this mean it's somewhere in the middle?

Try 40 leaves, I'd be surprised if 4 had a measurable effect.:)

Try 40 leaves, I'd be surprised if 4 had a measurable effect.:)

hmm well 40 leaves in a 30L tank won't have quite the look I was after..... but thanks for the tip :wink:

Whats the KH of the water you are trying to lower the PH of? If the KH is high then it will take alot to lower the PH..

that I don't know as I don't have a KH testing kit, will have to take some water to the LFS for that.

• 2 weeks later...