Lighting for a 6*2*2

paekakboyz

Hi All,

I'm close to upgrading to a 6*2*2 tank and I'm keen to have it planted. Currently run a 4*2*2 planted tank with a 4-foot dual T8 (40W) and a 3-foot dual T8 (30W) - both Aqua One brand. I def notice a difference between the areas of the tank getting 40W compared to 30W, not to mention the overall coverage (4ft compared to 3ft).

What approach would folks recommend for lighting the 6*2*2? would two 3-foot T5's do the trick perhaps? particularly if they were the 4 bulb versions. I don't intend to use CO2 and will largely stick to JBL balls etc in terms of extra ferts.

I've seen a number of threads on plantedtank.net where people run MH but I'm not sure if that means I'd need to consider CO2 or end up with runaway algae issues.

I have a couple of mates who are sparkies so I could consider getting parts (ballast etc) and putting them together with assistance but I'm also thinking about the aesthetics of it all as well.

thanks!

cost wise metal halides may be better for you if you get them from your sparkie mates the bulbs are really cheap on ebay. then also give a nice glittering effect on the substrate i use a 150w on my 5x2x2 with no algae problems (note its a african tank and has no plants to absorb nutrients)

perhaps 2x 150w units would be good as they would have no trouble reaching the depth of that tank much more and i reckon co2 would be a must

cost wise metal halides may be better for you if you get them from your sparkie mates the bulbs are really cheap on ebay. then also give a nice glittering effect on the substrate i use a 150w on my 5x2x2 with no algae problems (note its a african tank and has no plants to absorb nutrients)

perhaps 2x 150w units would be good as they would have no trouble reaching the depth of that tank much more and i reckon co2 would be a must

You might end up with a bit of a pair of spotlights effect with just two on a 6 foot though.