Goldfish

gagaforfish

upon realising my brothers so called guppies were pests, he has now moved on to goldfish. Normally my parents decline his begs for animals, but considering the fact the fish could always be looked after by me, they have said yes. He was looking at pictures on google and now wants Oranda goldfish. any thing he should now before starting or is there a bettercoldwater fish for a 12 yearold????? Any ideas would be great.

The fancy goldfish can be good to keep but they need a good sized tank as they are very messy fish and produce a lot of waste. Do not get the common short finned varieties as these need a lot of swimming room and are better in ponds.

True orandas are very expensive but there are cheaper hybrids available at pet shops I think.

Goldfish, the smaller fancy ones, need at least 40L per fish.

For a while I would guess. My goldfish are in a pond so I am not too sure about suitable sizes for aquariums.

According to the info I looked up a pair would need 80L but that is only a bucket's difference.