Clown Loaches being overly hidey

LoveArowanas

I have 4 of them in a 180L Juwel and they hide about 98% of the time. Theres about 20 other fish in there, which are 2 Madagasgers and the rest are Head n Tail lights, green eyed rasboros, Glo Light Tetras, a small red tailed shark and Kuhli loaches. All fish are smaller than the clowns except the Madagasgers.

I know they are better in larger groups (but thats what the fish stores say about most the fish) I just hoped 4 would be enough

Do I need to get more Clowns to get them active? Or are they spooked by the other fish? I would just get more except its starting to get a few too mnay in there than I would like

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need to get more Clowns to get them active?

I'd say so, but then again I might be biased. You certainly won't see many real group dynamics with only 4, ideally 10 would be a minimum. I'd suggest more loaches and more hiding spots, they'll be much more active when they feel secure.

I had three and mine were out and about all day lone. But I agree the more the better. If you are intending to keep them long to term. Just remember they need a much larger tank over time.

Thanks for that, how long do you think it would take them to grow to a size which would make my 180L too small? This makes me even more set on not wanting too add many more clowns tho

David, My subscrate if made up of big and very big pebbles and I have a large holey peice of driftwood as well as plants so I dont think lack of hiding places would be it. Others have also told me they kept 2-4 very active Clowns so I wouldnt mind knowing what im doing wrong. :(

They have been know to get way ove 3ft. But generally 2ft is most general size. The largest and oldest I know of with fish mated would be one in America which is just of 3ft and is 25 years old and has always been in a large tank with heaps of its own kind. Tank of 5,000g. Mega large.

I would say a few years, but then I would be thinking of stunting or up-grade.

mac

They have been know to get way ove 3ft. But generally 2ft is most general size. The largest and oldest I know of with fish mated would be one in America which is just of 3ft and is 25 years old and has always been in a large tank with heaps of its own kind. Tank of 5,000g. Mega large.

Are you talking about clown loaches or clown knife fish??????

OP; a 180L (not sure of dimensions but it doesn't really matter) isn't really big enough for anything but a temporary home for clown loaches. Ideally they wouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 4' long tank from the get go, and moved into something 5-6'+ in length by the time they hit 10-12cm to avoid stunting them. You could keep them in a smaller tank for longer with out any adverse effects to their health, other than slow growth and probably never reaching close to their potential size. They may be slow growing but they are a large active fish that requires a lot of swimming space.

Who ever told you that is yanking your chain. 12" is generally accepted as the maximum size. There are a few claims of bigger wild caught ones but I'm yet to see a pic with anything showing scale. Anything even close to 12" in aquaria is massive, my largest is only about 7-8".

In an aquarium? I hate to be sceptical but surely by now there would be some pics somewhere online confirming it, I've heard countless stories of wild caught loaches between 12 and 24" but I've never seen a single pic of anything over 12". In fact I haven't even seen a pic of a 12" one, there are a couple on loaches.com that are close though.

Wow! 20 years old! Is that a typical lifespan? 10" is a damn big fish (as far as home aquariums go).

I'm sure there are older clowns out there, they are a large slow-ish growing fish therefore probably have quite a long lifespan. My oldest ones I've had for 6-7 years and they were already around 3" when I bought them.

[go to http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... .php?f=282 if you want to see the pics that were here]

you'll have to click the links because of the stupid image size restriction (yes I am going to moan about that every time I post a picture!).

Stupid image size restriction? It's there for a reason. Not everyone who uses this forum has the internet speed and/or capacity to view 800x 600 or higher. Hell, even waiting for a page full of 640x480's is a pain for me sometimes. Then there's the international forums, their images are even bigger. Personally, I won't click a link to view an image most of the time unless I expect it to be good. It's not too hard to reduce an image size by a couple of hundred pixels.

Stupid image size restriction? It's there for a reason. Not everyone who uses this forum has the internet speed and/or capacity to view 800x 600 or higher. Hell, even waiting for a page full of 640x480's is a pain for me sometimes.

Boohoo, are we really going to be restricted to posting tiny low-res pictures until everyone on the planet has finally upgraded their 33.6k modems and 15" CRT monitors? Those pics add up to a grand total of about 180kb, hardly massive, the problem with the stupid image restriction is that it works on the DIMENSIONS of the picture, not the SIZE meaning that I could post an ultra hi-res 2mb 640x480 but can't post an 80kb cropped 900x350 full tank shot. But I digress....

Zayne, there are 30 there, plus one American Tiger. They range from about 7.5" (there are a couple of fat gravid females in the pics) to about 2.5". Great fun to watch at feeding time, but expensive to keep fed!! I'll make a video when the water in the 810L has cleared up.

Because I usually post them on on other forums and don't see why I should have to resize them for this one, especially when they are already small (usually under 100kb). Thats why I usually don't bother posting pics here, maybe I should just stick to that...

Because I usually post them on on other forums and don't see why I should have to resize them for this one, especially when they are already small (usually under 100kb). Thats why I usually don't bother posting pics here, maybe I should just stick to that...

Maybe you should! It would be better than moaning!

It is not had to do and there are still a lot of people that can not upgrade because they don’t have the ability to. I hate it when people think if they have it everyone should. Get in the real world and realise not everyone can access (or afford) broadband.

Maybe you should! It would be better than moaning!

It is not had to do and there are still a lot of people that can not upgrade because they don’t have the ability to. I hate it when people think if they have it everyone should. Get in the real world and realise not everyone can access (or afford) broadband.

No problem, I'll leave the pics for people like you who make such great contributions to this forum. Do you actually keep fish? I don't recall ever seeing you posting pic of them.

If anyone wants to see the pics of my loaches have a look at the Loach forum on www.monsterfishkeepers.com :roll: