new tank plans

Matto

i am looking at getting a tank made for my cichlids :D and i was wondering what size tank my filter can handle because i am trying to get this tank as big as possible as my dad wont let me get another after this. :evil:

i have a 1000l canister and a 1000l mechanical filter what size would be best? :-?

as long as you have around 5 times the volume per hour i would say that that you won't have nay isues so if you have 2000LP that would make it a 400L tank which would be somewhere between 5 & 6 feet depending on depth & height.

Hard to say the maximum sized tank you can go for, realistically you will only be flowing around 12-1300LPH with media in the filters etc. Some say you have to turn over 5x the volume per hour so going on that it you would be looking at around 250L.

However I have had african tanks with big fish in them running with only 2-3times, or even have 100-150L tanks with adults with just airfilters on them, so I am not a fan of these "rules" as less certainly does work. However you have to remember with less you have less lee way if things go wrong, your tanks are not as clean (my lower filtered tanks are murky and have more crud floating around) so it is always a weigh up. Personally I would buy an FX5 or something like that and buy a 5 x 2 x 2 or maybe 6 x 2 x 2 and run one of your other filters as well.

Hard to say the maximum sized tank you can go for, realistically you will only be flowing around 12-1300LPH with media in the filters etc. Some say you have to turn over 5x the volume per hour so going on that it you would be looking at around 250L.

i work off the rated flow which may actually be less but my tanks are sweet with the 5x rated flow. :) it's too difficult to calculate exactely what there flow is IMO