Angel breeding

diver21

So i started off with around 7 albino angels in my tank and now that theyve gotten bigger and less in number (4 left now) i really want these guys to start breeding for me.

about 5 months ago they all went through a bit where they lay eggs on the wall but nothing eventuated from it as the other angels just ate the eggs as they where being layed.

i had tried putting the what i thought was a pair into a seperate tank for about 3 months but nothing happend apart from some good growth.

now im getting fustrated as i really want these guys to start breeding! so what helps to trigger spawnings?

what do i need to do?

they have been fed on mainly flake and the weekly treat of bloodworms.

Drop the temp a bit and do no water changes for a few weeks and feed them less, then increase the temp and do lots of water changes lots of good quality food.. It works for alot of the amazon type fish as they usually spawn in the rainy season ie when they get lots of good quality fresh water and lots more food..

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you have four females. They will spawn without a mate, but the eggs are sterile when they aren't fertilised.

Or even it you do have a male and female together, they might not like each other. You did the right thing in getting 7 to start with, it's just unfortunate that you lost some. When I started out I bought 6 that did turn out to be three of each sex. The pair I kept are still going strong - a very strong pair bond. The second pair looked like a good pair too but when I sold them, they never bred for the buyer. The third pair did breed together but fought over the eggs and babies because neither accepted the other fish's right to them. Very problematic. That female also breed with a young male but when I sold them as a pair the first thing that happened was she paired up with a different fish in her new home.

So you might need to bring in some more fish to have enough to get proper pair bonding going. Good luck.