Inflated Looking Siamese Fighter?

tukituki

My male fighter is about 18months old and lately I've noticed that he looks like sort of like he's filled with eggs, or very swollen/inflated looking. He is not moving around as much as usual either, I think perhaps he is sick. What might be wrong with him? Cheers.

he may have overeaten and is constipated.. withold food for a couple of days and then give him some squashed pea.

Is his scales sticking out? I think mine must have had dropsy (see photos) and I treated first with epsom salt then furan2 .. he did come right but a month later died anyway. :-( I think he ate too much which caused the dropsy but he must have had organ damage which left him weak.

BikBok-sayidbloatjan10sb1eb-unn.jpg

BikBok-sayidbloatjan10-ol1.jpg

Bik Boks photo is definitely of a fighter with dropsy. Its a really really good photo of what dropsy looks like in a fighter.

Try peas and see if it helps yours but if its scales are sticking out as in Bik Boks photo unfortunately the result with ultimately be death. Dropsy can be caused by a number of things but the final result is organ failure and a build up of fluid with in the fish causing pressure and forcing the scales outwards into the pine cone shape. While various treatments may help the condition in the end the result with be the same.

my fish looks much worse than this photo so I think he must have dropsy. he has gone down hill over the last few hours so i'd say is pretty much doomed. a shame he is such a beautiful fish that we bred ourselves. since our female fighter died several weeks ago he seems to be depressed, maybe he is dying of a broken heart... i think i will just leave him to die naturally. poor boy.

thanks. yes they are. i haven't had much luck breeding them (only one of the many fry ever survived, who turned out to be this boy), but they are great for my community tank. a shame you don't see such pretty ones in the pet shops.