Fish ID help

djsurfs

I have been Googling away, but no luck so far as I don't have a name so am just sifting thru oodles of pics....

and I bet one of you knows the answer :wink::bow:

When I go snorkelling and usually in rocky areas especially around the mouths of small caves, I often see schools of small fish, about the size of the old 50¢ pieces but are quite umm... diamond-shaped and a very shiny flashy red hue...

any ideas?

Wow, those are some great pics. :bow: thanks for the link! :bounce:

but nope, not the bigeye... my best comparison would be with the Sweeps, except I know sweeps are Much larger than my mysteryfish ( & they are shiny red)

AND don't waste too much effort. like I said, observation/memory could throw us off, so I will have a better more accurate descript & hopefully a pic next time :) errrr I was more focused on crayfish at the time, lol! ( I alwasy find these fish when I am looking for crays!)

PS, just looked at a different pic,more side-on view of bigeye & hubby thinks they DO look like them, so ?????? sorry! will confirm later

thanks again

hmmm, the adjacent pics of bigeye & roughy look so similar on this page --> http://www.seafriends.org.nz/issues/res/gi/special.htm

My memory still thinks more diamond shape, but my memory is not photographic, lol, more like a sieve... :-?

I will definitely go for another snork when the weather calms down again, pay better attention to details,hopefully photograph, and report back!

Thanks for the help :)