Brown Algae

Janet

thanks caryl!

looked it up and found this:

My aunt and I have both had the Otocinclus affinis in our tanks. In both our cases, this catfish when larger has attached itself to the bodies of its tankmates. That in turn killed them. I don't know if this is a normal trait for these fish or not...

thye also dont eat red algae and blue-green algae apparently.

Want one, never seen them anywhere though, although slightly concerned about the above quote!

plecs

As far as I know this fish stays quite small (50mm or less) and is harmless to other fish. I've never had an problems with them and they've always stayed small for me. They likely confussed otto's with a Chinese Algae Eater which are well known for sucking fishes sides...

:hail: from new zealand discus man.

to algae..good algae is dead algae...simple. algae blocks killed of cotton wool algae in our discus tanks..it was bad in 20 out of 70+ tanks .all av 250 - 300 liters..big problem..in approx 2 weeks all gone and so far not returned..

main problem..pack can treat 200 190 liter tanks..the product we could supply to those who want to clean up tanks..but remember algae also helps to pureify water..

hope spelt right.

freight is about $6.00 nth island. and about 3 times that to sth island. yes plus gst..blocks

are $3.00 to treat 190 L cheers phill collis

:hail: from new zealand discus man

true that plants will use up food for algae..but it usually takes a very heavy planted tank..years ago many fishie people only used plants and no other filters,or aids. some algaes will even live through some algae killers.

the coton wool type algae will grow at such a rate that they need to be stoped.it is said aglae makes oxygen in day but consumes at night..

also water layering is also dangerous as oxygen will not get in to depth.

algae will make water layering more of a problem in out door ponds.

simple brown is usually also grown in low light. plec we use for this.so algae blocks are for the problem tanks that have to be fixed up..cheer s

phill collis