At what size to Bristlenose cats begin to breed?

Wok

Yes males do protect and fan eggs so the father does care for them.Mine started breeding at 6cm or as soon as males have there britles start to go up the face and females are always the slow growers i find in ancistrus sp as some of my babies the males are 5cm and getting bristles and what i think are females from the same batch are only 3cm long.Are you wanting to breed the ones i gave you?

yes Kyle. the operative word is trying.

any assistance would be appreciated. I am sure I have a male as the bristles are showing and the other I think is female as it is smaller even though they were the same size initially

It is more a question of age rather than size.

I once had some BN get down 18mm airlifts and live in the UG filter. Of course they never got fed in there, but I was not going to pull apart a going growing tank to get them out.

Stunted and under fed as they were the still spawned at around 5 cm but they had been in there for about 9 months. Given that they were a couple months old when they were put in the tank in the first place, let's say about a year old regardless of size.

This is about right for my breeding colonies of normal size BN.

Alan

Thanks for that Caryl, Alan & Kyle. One of the bn has started to show bristles and the other one I have seems to be growing rather slowly and is half the size as the male even though they were the same size originally. does this mean it could be a female?

ye it does possibly as in my L144 my female has grown very slowly compared to the males and in my bn my femaleds also grow very slow but it is not a certanty it might just be your dominant male being agrresive and not letting the other grow so thats what is possible aswell but any way good luck on trying to breed them

Cheers