Perfect shrimp home

SamH

Hello all.

I'm likely getting some shrimp in a couple of weeks and want to do it right the first time. I have two small power heads rated at 227LPH and 460LPH plus an air pump if needed. The tank will be the standard 2ft (60x30x30) and have 2x 6500k 18w T8s but apart from that, essentially blank.

1. What would be the perfect habitat for these inverts? Plants, décor, etc.

2. Do I need to feed them anything?

3. How much flow can the tolerate?

Thanks

-Sam

Mine love hiding in the indian fern and cabomba, and they eat anything that comes within grabbing range, from frozen bbs to live guppy fry (which was really need to watch) I rarely see them on the substrate, usually on driftwood, rocks and plants. Im not sure what my flow is like, cf700 in 4ft tank, in the quarantine tank, flow is alot more, didnt seem to bother them, they are good swimmers.

Mine liked hiding in the dark areas and in the cave they made between the substrate and driftwood. I fed them algae eater wafers, once every three days, careful when adding CO2 as mine died (determined that it was pH swing from CO2 addition).

Stella was a great help on info on keeping them. JarrenB has successfully acclimated them to tropical temps over a few days, and has kept them for a few months now. 8) Apparently the requirements about keeping our native ones, is cold water, due to the lack of oxygen in warm tropical water. Im sure flow wouldnt be a problem as mine were caught in a fast moving river. :lol:

HTH

I would avoid much flow at all.

In the wild they are often found in plants, possibly to keep hem safe from predators (ie everything) as well as not be swept away.

Nymox, do you really mean native shrimp was fish fry?! Wow

When I had mine they didn't need any supplementary feeding. The algae and biofilms seemed to be all they needed.

Sure do Stella, I was very suprised. I put about 8 of them and some guppies in my 4ft to help it cycle. Woke up in the morning to about 30 guppy fry. I decided to try count them all when I noticed one of the shrimp sitting high up on the driftwood, as I looked closer I seen he was eating something, as I looked closer still I could see what he was eating was moving. It was a guppy fry alright, poor wee thing still wriggling its tail as its head was being dismantled.

I would avoid much flow at all.

So keep it gentle? Surface agitation and bubbler only?

In the wild they are often found in plants, possibly to keep hem safe from predators (ie everything) as well as not be swept away.

What kind of plants do you recommend?

did you use the search function? :lol:

Not really no :P

you could do a full moss/wood tank ;)

I could too, hmm.... 8)

Thanks for the help so far guys :hail:

I just threw this together now. Simply stones from the garden, very little builders sand and some driftwood. Excuse the poor lighting :oops:

IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

Is it okay? If not, why? If so, which plants can I add?

Thanks! :hail:

I don't see any caves for them to hide in...

If it is as cold and wet on the weekend as it is today I don't know if I want to go shrimp hunting! :wink:

Do you want any driftwood with your order - there is an abundance of it on the parade at the moment, every time we go past we grab some, because it will either get burnt or next time we want some there will be none for months... I am sure Wok won't mind :roll:

Hmm, there's a thought - I could make Wok get wet hunting for your shrimp!

If it is as cold and wet on the weekend as it is today I don't know if I want to go shrimp hunting! :wink:

Up to you really, I'm sure I could source some up here if I have to.

Do you want any driftwood with your order - there is an abundance of it on the parade at the moment, every time we go past we grab some,

That's where I got this peice and three boxes of it too. We ended up going down to Napier but it was a last minute decision, should have got in contact :roll: In short, I've got enough driftwood to last me a lifetime.

Hmm, there's a thought - I could make Wok get wet hunting for your shrimp!

LOL

Uh-oh, Mum's just said no clutter on the bench so would some shrimp be happy in a 27L Splish Splash?

Ooohhhh you are so in trouble now! :evil:

Could have made you catch your own shrimp - and picked out your own plants...

:oops: I know, I know. I can catch my own shrimp, I have heard a rumour of a local place. Anything is appreciated really 8)

True, some of them would have been.

8)

Since you didn't bother to come and visit I will make Wok sign you up to the NZKA instead of paying for the fish and 'freight'! :wink:

:o If I'd known earlier I would have been in contact. It was very much a rushed trip anyway, mostly to see the grandparents. I'm sure there are plenty more fish out there that would match my needs :wink: