Can't get rid of Gill Flukes

Floater

Not too many risks with metronidazole. It can cause suppression of the immune response by decreasing white blood cell production. It can also cause liver failure and neurotoxicity if overdosed. It is also poorly soluble in water and across the gills.

Good luck, I hope it does the trick. :wink:

Not too many risks with metronidazole. It can cause suppression of the immune response by decreasing white blood cell production. It can also cause liver failure and neurotoxicity if overdosed. It is also poorly soluble in water and across the gills.

Good luck, I hope it does the trick. :wink:

Thanks, I guess I'll just crush it up as best I can and hope for the best. God I hope this finally fixes my fish.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I guess I'll just crush it up as best I can and hope for the best. God I hope this finally fixes my fish.

If your fish are still eating, then mix it with their favourite food. Just remember to freeze the food/metro mix as metro has a relatively short life. You can use frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, and refreeze. Or you can add a little gelatine to the mix and freeze (I like this approach as the food doesn't disperse too quickly into the water column and it is also cleaner to handle)

Feeding you fish medicated food ensures the medicine gets to where it needs to be, fast. And it is a lot cheaper than dosing a whole tank.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Its very difficult to totally rid your fish of gill flukes

In fact your fish will live quite happily with them if you maintain good tank husbandry

They will only effect your fish if the conditions get out of hand

What you have done so far would have killed the adults but the eggs will remain

You can minimise them by doing 3 treatments 7 days apart which will kill the flukes that hatch from the eggs

But its very hard to eliminate them and you will do more harm to your fish before you get on top of them

Especially if you plan on the road you are going down with chemical warfare

PP is the cheapest and best med(I find) for killing flukes at 2 mg/l for 4 hrs

I am surprised your fish are still alive at the 12 mg/l dose you gave

Some fish will only tolerate 1 mg/l,so you will need to do some research into ram tolerance

The best bet as Jennifer has said would be to do a scrape which is very simple to do

Scrape from the back of the gill cover, never the gills and view under a microscope, flukes are easy to spot

Only then should you medicate if you find flukes

Best of luck