Heater size and poly thickness

oneeyedfrog

Yey almost ready to set up my new 4'x2'x2'-finally. Got floor reinforced and stand nearly finished.

After trolling the forums decided Jagar heaters are the way to go

would you go for 1 or 2 and what size?

Also poly under the tank how thick does it have to be? Stand is level and I thought it was just incase of little bits of grit etc so didn't have to be too thick but have read that some people use 2.5 cm stuff.

There is a formula some where that will tell you how many watts per l you need to heat your tank

I have always liked two heaters in my tanks that size or bigger but that is personal choice and I have alwasy gone for 200 or 300 watt heaters...again no reason other than i like the idea of that size heater.

Poly thickness is up to you and yes it is about the uneveness of glass vs stand but also about insulation as well I have used the bed rolls and poly and they are much of a muchness I think

i might also suggest insulation on the back and sides or even under you hood if it is fesable. It doesnt have to look ugly and it does make a diference I think

HTH

Nav

The general guideline is 1W per L so your tank would be 430L, one of those big long 300W jagers would probably do the job well as they seem to heat very efficiently due to the length of the heating element, or 2 x 200W heaters. The theory behind using 2 is if one fails (ie stops working) then the other can keep some heat in the tank keeping the fish alive until you notice. Conversely it works well if one of the heaters sticks on it takes longer for 1 200W heater to cook your fish than 1 400W heater. If your tank is going to be in a really cold area like an unlined garage or somewhere like that you may want more heating and/or insulate the sides and top of the tank like Nav has suggested.

jagers are the business, i have a 1200x500x500 which i use a 300w jager & it is way over what i need to heat the tank. the 300W jager is rated for a 1000L tank, the 200w is rated for a 300L tank from memory but i would get the heater specified for the size of your tank or maybe 1 rating up.

i will look when i get home to see what wattage heater is suited for your tank & let you know.

jager heater ratings

watt litres

25 (20-25)

50 (25-60)

75 (60-100)

100 (100-150)

125 (150-200)

150 (200-300)

200 (300-400)

250 (400-600)

300 (600-1000)

i have a 50, 150 & 300 watt heater. I was using the 150 for a 300L tank in my garage which has 10mm poly insulation & it heated it really well. the garage itself is not insulated & gets very cold at night.

In your situation, i would go for the 250w heater. these last so long that buying 2 to safeguard for failure is not necessary IMO. I estimate my 50 watt heater is around 7 years old & it keeps the tank at perfect temp & if you were worried about them staying on apparently they have a fuse type mechanism that shuts them off if they jam on. they have a 3 year warranty, i had 5 jebo heaters & all failed after around two years of use.

Thanks for your help guys –Smidey thanks for taking the time to find the heater ratings. :D

Looks like it’s a 250 W. The tank is in the middle of the lounge- sticking out from the wall – viewed on 3 sides so won’t be having insulation.

We are home most of the time so the fire goes pretty much constantly thru winter so hopefully it shouldn’t get too cold.

DD has a Jagar 50W on her 100L ( came 2nd hand with the tank) in her bedroom and it has been really good. I guess it could be different if we lived in the cold south!

It’s so beautiful down south - would love to live there but I just can’t handle the cold- big wuss I am :lol:

We have Jebo, heto , aqua one heaters on the other tanks and I find they don't seem to keep constant temps - I'm paranoid that the fish will be cooked so good to know the Jagar will turn off.