Cheap & good background idea

phoenix44

I went to spotlight the other day to get some dacron; found none, but saw this vinyl roll that is 140 cm wide and sells for $18 per meter. I only needed half a meter so it cost me $9.00

This is what it looks like -

DSC08046Small.jpg

Nice textured effect going on there.

Makes fish nicer to photograph as well, but on the other side, makes them harder to photograph because of flash reflection.

DSC08051Small.jpg

PS- I am very very upset at that male electric blue ram :evil:

Lol, I know what you mean, trying to take a photo of one of my more shy fish but rams keep sticking their big heads in the way.

Nice idea on the vinyl, black backgrounds are my fav, specially when I get nice algae growing on top of it.

That whiptail keeps making me jelous, his tail string thingies are much much longer then mine.

That whiptail keeps making me jelous, his tail string thingies are much much longer then mine.

German imports seem to be darker than what is normally imported, and have longer fin extensions. Those extensions are the smallest of my 3 new ones. :o

i also liked the black back ground when i had coloured fish, now i have blacl ones not so ideal. All i see some times is a bright orange flash dart across the tank sometimes followed by a a bright yellow with a blueish tinge :lol:
:hail: :lol:

Beats yucky pet shop backgrounds! :P

Totally. :lol:

Although the rock background is good. (its the only other one I would use).

I was eyeing up some black polythene the other day for this purpose, would work well for blackgrounds :lol:

where did you see that? I imagine the insulation would be faaaarrrr better :lol:

The rock background is acceptable. I was looking at it in Animates the other day thinking about it, but they didn't have the right height. :evil: I hate when you see someones super impressive tank and then you're like woah tacky background! I'd rather see cords hanging out the back. :P

My tank isn't even two feet tall. Animates fail that day haha. :P Must have been super popular. I've just been admiring my neons on a black background in my little bedroom tank and it really is the best. I'm so going on a hunt through Spotlight tomorrow for a background for my new tank project now i'm all inspired.

where did you see that? I imagine the insulation would be faaaarrrr better :lol:

Black polythene not polystyrene :( just thin plastic stuff, can get it from almost any hardware shop in rolls, black or clear. Like pond liner etc. I saw it in my shed :D

Think I will try it on my tree frog tank, should look ok I think.

The polythene might be a bit glossy and reflective, especially if there is a gap between the polythene and the tank.

All of the above seem like good ideas, but only if you forgot to paint the back of the tank before setting it up. A good coat of satin black on the back of the tank is the best background IMO...

The polythene might be a bit glossy and reflective, especially if there is a gap between the polythene and the tank.

All of the above seem like good ideas, but only if you forgot to paint the back of the tank before setting it up. A good coat of satin black on the back of the tank is the best background IMO...

I used to just use an old school glue stick so that the background stayed tight. But i do think that paint looks the best!