Where can I get natives?

jamosfish

Hi there,

Grab a good torch and a friend and start checking out local streams. You best bets are where the water is shallow and fairly calm on the surface. If you get any side-on photos I can often identify them and tell you the tricks of how to identify them yourself.

There are lots of past threads on how to find, catch, adjust and keep natives. Get reading :) This forum has turned into a very useful archive for native fish information.

Chances are there will be someone in your area that is willing to take you out hunting - it gets addictive! :bounce:

I highly recommend bullies for people new to natives. There is a bit of variety, they are pretty hardy, not on the threatened list and they have really really neat behaviours.

This forum has turned into a very useful archive for native fish information.

All thanks to your huge input Stella :hail: BTW Have you completed your book?? where can I buy it??

I went tropical recently in my nano, but am keeping an eye out for a bigger tank to do up a native biotope. Ive been to where lake Tarawera starts feeding the river, lots of Trout :) Might do a bit more study into the native flora/fauna in that area.

As a tip for getting shrimp (I had collected some late last month), using the net swoop under vegetation, sometimes its hard to see them, but they are there. 8)

Have fun with the natives :D

Is it un PC of me to laugh at maoripho3nix telling us to have fun with the natives? :-? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well spotted good laugh!

Have fun finding the natives.....nope :o

Have fun catching the natives.....nope :o

Have fun keeping natives in captivity......hmmm nope :lol:

Have fun finding fauna endemic to Aotearoa :bounce: