White shell on turtle

Mel

Yea I am not to keen on the idea, but if it's going to get goodness in him then we will try anything - just as long as i don't have to do it :-?

Tonight we put him into his old bigger tank and he is by himself with no other fish so hopefully we can get him eatting better - I always have to hand feed him or the fish get his food, so now I can put the food in and he can eat at his leasure.

Oh by the way P44 - i went to give him that worm tonight and it was GONE!!!!! haha must of escaped out of the bag.

Oh by the way P44 - i went to give him that worm tonight and it was GONE!!!!! haha must of escaped out of the bag.

Well I found the renegade earthworm... was on page 74 of my big fat folder, still alive and well, so i out him back with his other worm buddies.

Mel unless your talking big fish i wouldnt bother chopping them up? Chopped up fish can be messy, goldfish are great food but best fed whole and live. Fresh water fish is best.

Cut back on other foods and maybe even the hand feeding but i think just cutting back on the amount of prawn or whatever is prob best. If the fish are taking the turtles food then once the turtle realises this, it may just stimulate the turtle to start eating them :D . As soon as the turtle gets hungry and or recognises the movement as food, i suspect she will come alive.

theres nothing wrong with feeding dead stuff really, but given it wont even eat a worm (possibly dead or alive) says to me its too well fed. Does she look fat, like bulging around her legs?

Let me know an address and ill send you a dozen large crickets to try next week if you like. They swim for a bit but I suspect the turtle needs a bit of education that movement = food. Otherwise it just want eat them. Can hand feed them to, dead or alive.

Yes these fish we will be using for food are to big to fit in the turtles mouth, hense why we will need to cut them in half first.

I was alittle surprised he didn't go for the worm, but i will keep trying with worms.

No he is not fat at all, he's quite hollow in the legs really - when he was eatting the hothouse foods awhile ago he was looking bulging in the legs.

Matt that will be great to try him on some crickets :hail: awesome thank you - i will PM you.

Thats interesting, if its not bulging round the legs then it should have a decent appetite.

I wonder if a another snakeneck would get it going. Sometimes they seem to feed off a bit of competition. But even still one on its own should be all good anyway :D

Otherwise if its only a couple of small patches after the shed i wouldnt worry too much, having the cover off the light may correct that. Bit more variety in the diet and should be well and truely on the right track. Its great to see someone who cares so much for their turtle. You should see a couple of mine that were purchased as adults, got really big bumpy backs :-? still seem happy enough and shell isnt soft like if use to be but they will never be perfect.

True I had'nt thought of that, but then again..

tonight i added afew drops of turtle vitamins to his prawn - and wouldn't you know it the little devil knew something was different and wouldn't touch it - managed to get one good piece into him though.

sounds like Mel is already onto that :D

maybe wedge his mouth open and put a drop in?

mmm but very stressful for the turtle...and not easy with a snakeneck and probably not recommended without knowing if its actually vital for the turtles current health. I just think stop feeding prawn altogether for now and give him time to be hungry. Offer variety and wait and see. Also raising water temp a little may stimulate appetite too. :)

Well last night was a HUGE success ... RIP little fishie .... but that little fishie went down a treat he LOVED it :D

Matt, we found a few insects and put them in his tank, took a little while for him to notice, but as soon as he saw the legs moving he went straight for them and ate them all up - so i think the crickets will be enjoyed by him :D

Some nutritional deficiencies can cause anorexia (lack of appetite). Might it pay to try dosing with a vitamin supplement to see if that might help?

Yep i am on to that, however i don't want to have to use the extra vitamins to much - at the moment just supplementing him once a week.

maybe wedge his mouth open and put a drop in?

i don't think that would work well with him :-? but i really don't think it's nessersary to go to that extreme as he's not bad at all.

I am just so happy he is loving all these new food we are giving him :)

Thanks Zev :D i am soo proud of my wee turtle

I tried feeding him a earth worm just before, i don't know who was more scared of it .. me holding the thing or mr. turts, he had a sniff and a snap at it which made me drop it into the water then the worm burrowed uder the rock :-? lol maybe mr. turts will find it later for late night snacks :lol:

Mr. Turtles crickets arrived today kindly supplied by Insect Direct ... thanks again Matt :bow::bow:

We gave him some for tea tonight and he chowed down 4 big fat crickets :D I am picking he would have kept eating more if we let him.