Home made incubator for bearded dragons?

melrick1

Has anyone had any success at making an incubator for bearded dragons?

If so could instructions please be posted here so we can all see how to do this. Myself and a friend are both wanting to breed them, however incuvbators are expensive (as you well know).

Any help would be great to get new breeders started.

Thanks guys

Thing is, its not a cheap game to be getting into.

$600-800 should get you a reasonable incubator. first lot of hatchlings and its paid for (if your lucky).

Cheap incubators have cheap thermostats. = no good

Fluctuating temps arnt good, im yet to see a good diy incubator, or atleast a good cheap one.

Dont get me wrong im sure it can be done. But trying to do that on the cheap is a bit like buying a lizard for $500, then claiming you cant afford feed it.

$265 for a brand new still air hovabator off tm is what you want.Sure you can build one but I doubt you would get the same presicion of temps for the same money?I have hatched red ears in evrything from heated fish tanks,waterbed drawers,hot water cuppboards etc.They all work but the incubator is well worth its price.Don`t even go there unless you have copious quantities of live food on hand at all times.

I had no idea you could get one for that price... that would be a happy investment for me. Are they still for sale?

I have seen the 650 like insect direct said, but I will have a pair of beardies, BUT not positive they will breed/lay so I think its different from feeding lol.

would be good to have one in the event it does actualy happen tho, if you get my drift :D

i have 2 now and they seem very precise?only as good as the place you set them up mind you,even in the coolest wardrobe in the house they can sneak up in the heat of summer(assuming you get one)lucky ours was not up to much this year.I meant the live food for the babies,if you get my drift.Have all systems go before you contemplate hatching any eggs.I do not hatch anymore for the reason of the work and time involved,a good experience but not what it seems.

I think your right. If in a steady environment then temp shouldnt fluctuate so much. Easier said than done in a house without insulation or heat pump.

Ive always wondered just how the hovabator works. Does it take a temp and stick to that or just on a level. So goes up and down with room temp? If that makes sense.

These look good as they heat and cool http://www.hothouseturtles.co.nz/lucky_ ... oducts.htm

Most of the incubators (I have 4 and they are all different makes) will range half a degree C each side of what they are set for. It is easy to make and insulated box but not cheap to buy accurate thermostats. If it is set for 28deg C it will range between 27.5 and 28.5. If the ambient temperature is above that it is likely to rise to meet it.

the link does not work for me but if its the still air hovabator they have a water tray in the bottom with variuos trays you can use to add more surface area and thereby increase or decrease the humidity level.worked well for me with turtles and beardies.