Best soil for planted newt tank?

Gatito

Currently have my newt (yes, singular, need to organise some friends, probably after our wedding in march) in a big exo-terra with 9cm deep water, and a few ornaments and driftwood sitting above the surface for my still fairly terrestrial newt to clamber over. There are danios and cories living in there at the moment too.

Would like to empty the tank and silicone a piece of glass into the aquatic/lower 10cm of the tank to section off 1/4 or 1/3 of the floor space. I then plan to fill the smaller side with some kind of soil/substrate, fill the larger side with water (for when Frederick decides to go aquatic :D ) and place driftwood in the aquatic section so it sits above the water level and Frederick can use that space while he still chooses to stay out of water.

I'd love any input anyone can give on what kind of soil (or whatever, moss?) to use - i want to plant newt-safe fauna in there, so needs to be both safe for the newt and good for growing plants. Any newt owners out there that can suggest good newt-friendly plants for the tank? Can be aquatic plants also.

Any suggestions or comments in general would be awesome also :D

my tanks are very simple. = easy care

basically upto 2inch water and a bit of driftwood with javamoss for the land area.

huge fan of javamoss here, grows in low to moderate light in water and out/over driftwood etc

no lighting here other than a little from the frog tanks next to them.

newts do remain on the driftwood for most of there time until they mature (about 2years).

weekly i do a good 50-75% water change. very hardy little amphibians :)

thanks guys. am thinking i'll use potting mix with a smooth medium gravel on top, to prevent newts getting fine gravel stuck to their footsies. Have been happy with using driftwood and the ornaments as land space but would like to make it all a bit more attractive - can always use driftwood over most of the water area to maximise climbing space until the newts go mostly aquatic. java moss is a must, but i love the idea of miniature figs, going to look them up right now....