firenzenz

Yeah my typing mistake.

Here is S. fryeri

fry.jpg

Also, we had here in NZ S. psammophilus aka Electric Blue Kande

kan.jpg

fryeri (I took the picture myself)

DSC05893.jpg

A copadichrimis has no exact shape, has bars and some of them also a blaze. Breeding colourations may be used only as a reference.

If you are interesting in Copadichromis have a look at these documents:

Stauffer, J. R., Jr. & A. F. Konings. 2006. Review of Copadichromis (Teleostei: Cichlidae) with the description of a new genus and six new species. Ichthyological Explorations of Freshwaters, vol. 17 (1), pp 9-42. (Mchenga, Copadichromis melas, C. chizumuluensis, C. diplostigma, C. insularis, C. cyanocephalus, and C. parvus).

Konings, A. 1999. Description of Three New Copadi- chromis Species (Labroidei; Cichlidae) from Lake Malawi, Africa. TFH magazine, vol. 47 (9) May: pp 62-85

and for S. fryeri

The Cichlids Yearbook, Volume 3

I don't understand why you have such a strong connection between this fish and C. frayeri. If you believe that there is any hybridizations occured in the past why it hasn't happened within Copadichromis genus or maybe Otopharynx?

I agree. In this case I am using Fryeri as a likely contender. Your suggestion of Lithobates is indeed a distinct possibility.

I did some study to verify that it is C. azureus. Unfortunatly as you know there is no known true locations of this fish which is the case for all aquarium breed or most commercial fish. Regardless of that I have moved ahead. I fixed a few fish and did a study.

All results of meristic and morphometric date and observations lead me to C. azureus.

Would the resulting ambiguity as you've stated in the 2nd sentence not then have some bearing on your results indicated in last sentence

You have a few pictures and it is what we would like to see regarding Copadichromi sp., their colourations of teritorial male, non teritorial male, female and juviniles.

So are the shots of my fish then enough to lead you to state that my fish are C.Azureus

Yeah my typing mistake.

Would that not defeat the whole purpose of thread If That was the case

So you haven't bred them? and yes it may, my point is 'has it happened in this case'.

The fish I have bred are from initial stock where females have been kept seperate tank.

The bodyshape of my current fish are the same as the initial stock.

Once again, thanks for heads up. Following those points were the reason for thread in first place. :o

10 Marlin in the gear.

4 hooked up

1 taken- 99.2kg

1 tagged-est 110kg

1 Mako-tagged-est 80kg

Would the resulting ambiguity as you've stated in the 2nd sentence not then have some bearing on your results indicated in last sentence

Well, we have to examine the fish to tell that it is a Copadichromis. I can't see any other way to do that and it is the first step that has to be done. For sure true locations would eliminate any possibility of hybridization but naturals.

So are the shots of my fish then enough to lead you to state that my fish are C.Azureus

No, not at all. As I said first step is to prove that it is genus Copadichromis. Anyway the fish has some good indications especially breeding colourations of male. For me it is unclear how big the supra-anal spot is, is the supra-pectoral spot below the lateral line and breast colourations as well. You have all visual indications on the fish there indeed.

Would that not defeat the whole purpose of thread If That was the case

My Photoshop comment was about the photo from the net.

So you haven't bred them?

I have never put any effort to breed them but there were heaps of baby fish. They were a good source of live food.

Once again, thanks for heads up. Following those points were the reason for thread in first place. :o

The papers I mentioned in my last post has a lot of answers you are looking for so I still think that it is good advice, at least there would not be comparisons between C. borleyi and C. azureus.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There are quite a few of us out there with these guys now I quite like them now they are maturing, I have a couple of spawns growing out now. Omar if you want these I am sure that the wholesalers still have them on their lists and any petshop could order them in at a descent size for you?

• 3 months later...

Very Interesting thread.

I saw some excellent Azureus breeders down here over the weekend. They looked similar to yours Firenzenz, but as it is the first time I have seen them up close and mobile, plus being a mere African novice. My observations do not matter much.

Like most organism on the planet, naturalized or hybridized variations created either man-made or natural selection can easily change the appearance of a fish. We are all humans but none of us look the same.

On a separate note. Thanks for suggesting where I might find some litho's firenzenz. I now have 5 juv's: 2 males, 2 females and a unknown. Most pleased :D