Water chemisty.

ralliart314

just tested my kh, it took 16 drops to get the water to turn from blue to yellow is this good for african cichlids,im getting gh text tomorrow

Compare the 16 drops to the chart your test came with (may be on the side of the bottle). Tests can be different so we need to know kH not 16 drops.

I'm a bit confused, you say your water is very soft, but plan to add rain water (very soft) to try and help, wont this just make it softer?

For a quick fix you can use baking soda to bring the hardness up, longer term you could add some shell grit to your filter or put some coral rock in the tank. The argonite gravel will be helping but you really need to have water flow over/round it

Through some complicated chemical process it increases the carbonate hardness or KH, it's really common to use in marine tanks but works just as well in fresh water, most pH buffers are sodium bicarb based. A google will give you the chemical process if you can understand it :lol:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads/KH-GH-test-instructions.pdf

According to the API test instructions online your Kh is 16dkh (1 drop per dkh) which is really high (your water is very hard), I'd first off suggest you test again to make sure it correct or ever better get some one else to check it using their kit to make sure yours is okay. If you find it is this high, get the rain water water changes going, regular small changes are the way to go. Once you get it down a bit you'll need to work out if is going to stay at the level you want or keep going up, if it keeps going up we'll need to work out whats doing it.

Do you add any chemicals?

I read on a website use baking soda and red sea salt to give the water calcium.

Quite possibly, the Kh levels (increased from baking soda) and calcium levels are closly related, but I don't know what is in red sea salt to know if it contains signicant amounts of calcium.