green coralline algae

Brianemone

coralline growth is a good indicator that your setup is biologically sound. but also...

Macro-Algae (the good algae) are useful in controlling micro-algae (the undesired algae). They cut down on light and use some of the nutrients otherwise available to undesirable forms. The fast growing Caulerpa and encrusting corallines (a group of Red algae resembling corals) are best. There is evidence that the latter produce chemicals that preclude the growth of micro-algae, especially the Blue-greens

So perhaps not directly related to breaking down nutrients, rather indirectly!

Also an interesting note regarding high temperature and temperature fluctuations. Its a personal opinion of the writer but a potentially valid theory nonetheless...

Similarly, and tied together with high-heat-output lighting, there is an ideal range for the forms of algae you want and those you don't. Here comes another broad generalization. Most of the algae offered in the trade hails from the Caribbean, particularly Florida. It grows best in waters in the seventies (degrees F.). Many of the runaway algae problems I've seen were due to the water being too warm (in the mid-eighties) and fluctuating too much, negatively impacting the health of the desired algae and other livestock.

I have observed in both my tank and while diving that the rocks covered in coraline algae seem immune to other algae growth, even in a tank with quite a bit of hair etc.....

so it does seem to provide a firebreak effect I guess.

Does the encrusting lower the porosity of the rock its on? Seems that it does require light, as growth on the direct underside of the rock seems minimal. has anyone read anything that scientifically documents the benefits it brings to a tank?

It looks good, much better then white rocks, though.

Yeah green grows mainly on the glass but is on some rocks. I also have purple, pink, and red which grow mainly on the rocks and pvc.

Layton

same

in about one month the patches have gone from little specs to about fifty cent piece size.