How lonf do i wait before removing my old internal filter?

dwalk

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or under technical, but here goes anyway,

In my wifes 100l bumble bee goby tank we have replaced the internal eheim 2008? with a JBL 120 canister filter. i have both running in the tank now, when would it be safe for me to remove the internal filter. The external filter hadn't been in use for about a year, and i added some new ceramic noodles into it. I was thinking of 2 weeks, would that be long enough?

In a new filter and an uncycled tank, Nitrosomonas (the bacteria which metabolise ammonia into nitrite) will establish almost immediately. The Nitrobacter (the bacteria which metabolise nitrite into nitrate) will establish in a week or more. However, you already have populations of these in your tank (if it is cycled) so you should be ok. However, I would use any old media from the old filter and put it in the new filter. Also, I would not do a gravel vacuum for a week or so after so at least you will have that population undisturbed while the new filter gets used to the new bioload.