Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Filter Leaking? Or I'm paranoid?

Featured Replies

Hi all

Have a Fluval 405 filter, very reliable for the past 2.5 years.

Today I did a filter clean. When I connected everything back up and filled the filter with water from the tank, I noticed a patch of water around the base of the filter. Power was not on yet.

I was really worried so I disconnected the filter from the hose, poured some water back into a bucket, noticed some drips of water coming from the seal. Is this normal? This is when the filter is on its side, NOT upright.

After that I connected it back up, filled it with water and plugged in the power, everything was normal, no leaks at all so far. Am I being paranoid? Maybe that water was from somewhere else?

Since it's 2.5 years old, is it time to replace anything? For example seal?

Thanks a lot

When I clean out my 104 I find that if I top it up too much with the hoses off but the lid on, water gets into the aquastop bit, and then looks like it is leaking.

if you do need a new filter i got one for sale reliable up to 800 liters 2400 l/h it is and aqua one cf2400 i am looking for around $200 are you interisted ?then if you are just pm me

Hi, I just bought a Fluval 205 about 2 months ago, and I watched the instruction DVD that came with it. They mentioned that if the filter starts to leak, to inspect the gasket that goes between the motor housing and the filter. See if it has cracks in it or anything. Also note that damage in the gasket might not be obvious. A replacement gasket should be available from your LFS for a few bucks.

Hi, I have an old 404 and I found a similar thing after cleaning . If I filled it up with the hoses off water ran down into the moulded bit around the closing latches. Then that water leaked out. Once that bit emptied out there was no more leaking.

Hopefully the same thing is happening with yours.

  • Author

This is the first time it's happened, which is why I was worried.

But I think I fill my up a little differently to yours. Mine has a lever which when I release, opens the hose and the tank water flows into the filter until it's fill.

I don't fill it up before I connect the hoses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.