Gravel or no Gravel or Sand

DEE

ha guys i was think that i was going to take all the gravel out my tank and then just have a bear plan tank because it would be easier to mange what does everyone think of that

it's i there that or I'm going to put silica sand in how much would i need for 180cm,60cm,60cm

thanks

Silica sand is very fine and gets stirred up by larger fish, and can get into filters and damage the impeller. I wouldn't recommend it for a big tank with big fish, but Henward seems to be doing alright with it. Best bet is to give it a go and see what works, if you've got a siphon of a large enough diameter to suck out the gravel/substrate then its not that hard to change it.

Bare bottom is certainly easier to clean, but every time I take the substrate out I soon get tired of it and put some back in. Tiles are another option, as easy to clean as bare bottom but looks much better. Check it out here.

i run bare bottom for the aros in the big tank but substrate for the birchir tank, fine black and white river gravel matches the ornates colour

if aros try to take food off the bottom they end up with a mouthful

they are pretty good at seiving it out but i don't want to take a chance

good shot of you holding the tank cricketman :wink:

i think substrate has beneficial aspects like harbouring bacteria for taking out the nitrates so i wouldn't have a bare bottom tank. i have found that fry grow faster in substrated tanks.

Only anaerobic bacteria, grown in a deepsand bed will reduce nitrates!

I have gravel and sand approx half and half, gravel on the side where the filter is and so far I have never found any sand in there at all.

I have silica sand also.

There's a thread in DIY from me about making the barrier if you wish to complicate your life further 8)

thanx for that sophia i will check that out but i think i will try the tile thing first i'm realy realy keen to try. i will put on pic's up when i try for everyone to see probably only going to be starting on monday

thanx for that sophia i will check that out but i think i will try the tile thing first i'm realy realy keen to try. i will put on pic's up when i try for everyone to see probably only going to be starting on monday

yep, photos would be nice.

what fish do you have?

All the fish in my tank (little fish) seem to hover over the gravel when needing a place to hide as they blend in better than the stark sand

yep, photos would be nice.

what fish do you have?

All the fish in my tank (little fish) seem to hover over the gravel when needing a place to hide as they blend in better than the stark sand

ya i have big fish eg 60cm arowana 3x danoids so after what david said i think tiles are better

if aros try to take food off the bottom they end up with a mouthful

they are pretty good at seiving it out but i don't want to take a chance

Mine is remarkably graceful at picking up pieces of shrimp off the bottom, its the dats that gulp it down and get a bit of the substrate with it. I'm not too worried about the aro eating the subsrate as its all small enough to pass, I learned the hard way about putting in bite sized rocks, I got the first one back but never found the second one!! :o

Mine is remarkably graceful at picking up pieces of shrimp off the bottom, its the dats that gulp it down and get a bit of the substrate with it. I'm not too worried about the aro eating the subsrate as its all small enough to pass, I learned the hard way about putting in bite sized rocks, I got the first one back but never found the second one!! :o

ya my arow is very graseful his name is solomon they are all good at not picking up the gravel even my dats :)

so excited to put tile in my tank. i need to take out all my gravel and then put in the tiles, it's going to be hard work