Sick Chinese algae eater

Gill

Hi I have lost a couple of Chinese Algae eaters, they seem to waste away,I haven't been able to see anything wrong with them. They swim fine but seem to get emaciated and eventually die. The head begins to look out of proportion for their bodies. They swim around ok and eat, could it be worms ????

I had one in my Q tank and think he's died so I will see if I can get a photo. :cry::cry::cry:

I have had a good look at him/her, i can't seeing anything visible. What would you suggest i could have used to help treat her/him. It's not the first Chinese Algae Eater I have lost in this way. I used salt etc but not had any luck and I have a UV in the tank So i think it probably is an internal parasite, all other fish in the tank are thriving.... :D:D

I'm afraid I know little about internal infections. Try Googling one of the many fish disease sites to see what they recommend. A lot of the meds aren't available in NZ though.

Hopefully someone here can be more helpful :-?

I assume these are the only fish affected? Have you any other bottom dwellers? It could be something in the substrate but if other bottom dwelling fish are fine perhaps you bought them alerady with the infection.

Wasting is one of those conditions that is very difficult to diagnose. If all the other fish are ok, I would start looking at environmental and dietary issues that pertain specifically to fish of his type. He may require a nutrient that you weren't aware of. Once they start wasting away, it is sometimes very difficult to bring them back - poor nutrition affects immunity, development, etc.