To have Mollies or Not

Billaney

Hi everyone

I’m new to the fish room and to keeping fish, my wife and I have caught the bug and have been fish keeping for just over a month now.

My question is when it comes to Mollies , I ready like them due to the colours ,size, shape etc but we have read ( we have done a lot of reading) they are prone to white spot and like salt so my wife is against them for that reason.

What’s the opinion of you guys, were setting up a 55g community tank but we done have a 10g quarantine tank and a 10g 2nd tank (hope for fry one day) which have our fish in at the moment

We don't want to buy ourselves problems but I'm still keen at this stage

what do you think??

They are prone to white spot and do better with a touch of salt in the water. I suggest you wait until you are a little more experienced and your tanks matured then see if you want to give them a try. Have you thought of joining a fish club in your area? We have one in Kapi-Mana (meet in Tawa) and Upper Hutt. There is also a non FNZAS affiliated club that meet in Ngaio.

Good luck with the fish.

Hi Billaney,... welcome to the NZ Fishroom. :)

I think people believe that Mollies are "more" subseptical to White Spot because (being black in most cases).. the white spots tend to show up so easily, but the old rules apply...

"Prevention is better than cure"... so the less you stress your fish and try to maintain the best conditions that they require, the better.

Take things slowly, and ask all the questions you need, plus read up on your fish before you get them.

• 4 months later...

Hi Billaney

Did you ever get your Mollies? Was wondering because I've just become the owner of 10 babies and after reading up as much as I can on the Internet I'm VERY confused about whether to use salt and if so just which sort of salt to use and in what quantities and do I add more when changing the water etc etc etc?

Anyone have any recommendations please?

At the moment they are in a 34 litre tank to which I added 1 tsp Aquarium salt which I dissolved in water first - today I added another 1/2 tsp - just doing it gradually but not sure when to stop!

There were so many conflicting opinions about what sort of salt to use, except for iodised which is a definate no-no, that in the end I just went with what I already had in the house.

Hi Dawn

Yes i did get some mollies and been very happy with them , ven bought some more nice ones on our recent Auckland trip.

As to salt , it was a question we were not sure of either but after talking to a lot of people and a lot of shops we decided NOT to add salt because most shops don't and a change in water chemistry we decided would not be good, idf they were not raised in salt water at all, we decided thjey don't need it and other fish in the tank don't want it , so why add it ??

just our way of thinking but they have been fine.

You're right, it's a bit of a bugbear not being able to put other fish in with them like bristlenoses and the like. I've asked around a few people who have them and they don't have Mollies in salt water either.

I read somewhere that they are just fine in freshwater but will live twice as long in salt water.

I only put the salt in because they came from salt but maybe I won't bother now. How can I get rid of it or will it disperse itself after a period of time and lots of water changes?