co2 - dont hate me

oO SKIPPY Oo

so i have cleaned up my tank some more - removed my airpump / airstone and thought about putting in a DIY CO2 setup. i think i have the receipe down - 2 Litre bottle, 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of active yeast and full the bottle to about 3 inches from the top of the bottle - tell me if i have that wrong

my question is with the CO2 tube should that run from the above reactor bottle through an airstone or should it be attached to the output of an internal filter i chucked in the tank (its a tankmaid pro 400 filter) ? which would be best ?

thanks

Skip

I wouldn't use an airstone...all your bubbles will just float to the surface.

Stick the hose into the INLET of your filter so that the bubble hit the impeller before traveling through the sponge and out.

If you can't get it into the intake siphon (based on the filter design) then buy a step ladder of diffuser off trademe for <$20. They are both about 80% efficient. You can also construct your own diffuser chamber that can be attached to the outtake syphon of the filter as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xELv1lMjTw

...but that might be too complicated for the first go.

As far as the recipe goes, here is a good site that explains how you can modify the ratios after you get the basic mix down to help improve productivity...Basically, there are options of changing the amount of yeast or sugar, upgrading to brewers yeast (which can handle higher concentrations of alcohol) and adding some baking soda and some vitamins. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=152401

And remember....if you place the bottle underneath the aquarium, you will need a check valve so that the water from the tank does not siphon into it!

Stick the hose into the INLET of your filter so that the bubble hit the impeller before traveling through the sponge and out.

I've read that the carbon can cause metal to corrode so I choose to do it on the outlet. Unless you're not getting enough CO2, I find diffusion in small tanks isn't needed.

ok outlet sounds like the goer - now i just need to source the materials and will give it all a go - thanks for the responses everyone.

I've read that the carbon can cause metal to corrode so I choose to do it on the outlet. Unless you're not getting enough CO2, I find diffusion in small tanks isn't needed.

CO2 will only causes corrosion because it turns into carbonic acid, the carbonic acid is so diluted in your tank it wont cause any problems. But this is why the pH of your tank changes when you start dosing CO2.

You need to put it into the inlet otherwise there is little point, the bubble will just get blown to the surface and wont defuse much at all.

hmm - i dont really have anywhere i can stick it for the inlet side as it just sucks the water and gunk up through holes in the bottom of the filter - maybe i should get one of those ladders ?

CO2 will only causes corrosion because it turns into carbonic acid, the carbonic acid is so diluted in your tank it wont cause any problems. But this is why the pH of your tank changes when you start dosing CO2.

You need to put it into the inlet otherwise there is little point, the bubble will just get blown to the surface and wont defuse much at all.

I beg to differ. I have mine on the outlet of my RIO180 internal filter and the bubbles get dispersed heaps. They do rise to the surface but when it was properly planted, the plants pearled like crazy. If that's not an indication of CO2 in the water then I don't know what is.

Did you use a co2 drop checker to see what the concentration was?

Some of my plants pearled and that was before I ever added co2...

I beg to differ. I have mine on the outlet of my RIO180 internal filter and the bubbles get dispersed heaps. They do rise to the surface but when it was properly planted, the plants pearled like crazy. If that's not an indication of CO2 in the water then I don't know what is.

We bought a plastic nipple from lps, drilled a hole into the bottom of the filter and glued it in. we can plug our co2 hose in, or not if we just want a filter again, looks tidy and neat.

what sort of plastic nipple are you talking about ?? do you mean just like those connector bits for the airline hoses ?