Sand filter->phosphate media reactor?

Ira

Just a thought I've had. I have a DIY sand filter I got free at an auction a few years ago(It came with a big bucket I wanted and got for a buck) and I was thinking, I now have some Aquamedic antiphos (Thanks Nicks) and I was wondering if I dumped that into the sandfilter and had a small powerhead running it would that be worth the trouble compared to just putting it in the chamber in my skimmer? The sand filter is about 18-24" tall and about 3"X4" base. I think I have some pumps that should be able to get everything tumbling in there. So, worth the trouble, or not?

Something similar to this...

IMD%5C150%5CTL4311.jpg

Ok...I think we'll call this little experiment a failure. But it's nice to know that even with my sump overfilled a bit there is more than enough space in the tank to keep it from overflowing if something, like a sand filter with antiphos in it, plugs up the line down to sump.

I rigged it up so the overflow goes through the sandfilter, through the phosban and into the sump. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to want to...Ummm...Fluidize so the antiphos partially clogged the intake pipe for the sand filter. So, I don't think that idea is going to work.

keep at it I beleive the phosban or whatever gives a better result under high flow use. you probably did not have enough flow to fluidise so it acted as a blockage, do not give up. use a powerhead or just place the phosban in a sock in the direct stream of your outflow in the sump

I do this, and I believe it gets better results.

Binding agents can only bind if they get access to the media, increrased water flow over the media must, to a point, help.

Peter

At the moment I've got it hanging in the overflow. That's something haven't quite figured out yet, a good place to put media, filter wool, etc. The return from the sump is only about half an inch from the bottom and I don't really want to cut it shorter so I can put the phosphate stuff under it because it seems to get louder the shorter it is. But, if in the overflow doesn't work well I will cut it.

small plastic fish/coral holder from LFS - $30

plastic unit for holding sher gel etc in shower from payless plastics..... $2

The look on IRA's face when he finds the $2 media holder.... Priceless

have a real good wonder round your local payless plastics... all sorts of cool things can be found!

Oh, yeah, the pots for bog plants, water lilies etc, that would be perfect.

Picked up a float switch $40.:) But I'm going to have to DIY the plugs(Splice it into an extension cord, I think) and a way to mount it in the sump. Don't have a dremel or the nerve to drill a hole in the sump for it.