just found...

Whiskas

that the regional council will (well they do every year) cut off the water supply to a local lake in a park. Apparently last year there were fish,frogs and eels and prolly other aquatic life that died as a result of this water being cut off and consequently the lake drying up.

Would people be interested in heading this way to save what can be? If so, I will do my best to keep up with what is happening and find out if it would be possible for people to come down and save what they can.

It is the lake in Queen Elizabeth Park, the one that you can drive around and picnic beside. I suppose people still do that.

They have drained it every year for ever. I am in my .... well I'm not that young anymore and I can remember it when I was a kid growing up in Masterton.

I used to feel sorry for the eels squirming around in the mud as the water drained away. In fact I remember taking some and releasing them into the adjacent river. We even tried cooking them on one of our river fires ( pre bbq days) but being mud eels yuk.

If you got there before other boys you could usually pull a bike out of the mud, always good for parts.

actually its Spark Park in Carterton - its on Belvedere Rd, GoogleMap it. they dont really empty out QE2 park lake anymore Deno.

Carterton is about an hour drive south of Palmerston North and about an hour and half drvie north of Wellington.

I dunno if you allowed to move the critters but since the regional council doesnt seem to think they are worth worrying about and is happy to leave them to die, i dont see why not. There could be those small native fish i seen people keeping on here, hence why i put up this post. The lake is fed by a natural stream , its just these critters get trapped here and then when the water is blocked off they cant get out. Last year i know some were removed and rehomed elsewhere. Mite go set a fish trap (made with drink bottle) to see what can be caught - more out of curiousity than anything else.

I have heard the local council parks and reserve guy is working hard to get it fed by a bore so that when the stream is blocked off the lake will stay full. He hates seeing all these critters just be left to die and the park to look all blah without water in the lake!

Henley Lake has grass carp living in it - released there by teh council to control the weed. If you ever there look out across the water and you will see these monstrous fins moving through the water, a bit like sharks :lol: You wont catch me in that water!

I am pretty sure the local council will not mind, if it is just going to dry up, if people remove the critters - can check tho. As for regional council - wat they dont know wont hurt them 8) They cut off the water supply as they say the lake is man-made (cant remember if it was always there and just cleared or if it is man-made) and it lets the stream be higher, not sure for what reason!? It would be better if they leave the water in the lake as once it dries up grass like cooch takes over and it cant be mowed so it just looks messy! thats my opinion anyways

• 1 month later...

with the amount of rain we have been having it doesnt seem to be drying up this year. Dunno if they have blocked off the water supply tho!

Altho LOTS of people have been down there catching frogs and tadpoles - someone is even selling them on TM! The prob is some people are catching them but dont actually know how to care for them! poor froggies!