Fish ID help pls??

nzquiet1

Greetings All,

having just purchased a good deal (I hope) on TM, I now need some professionals to id exactly what I have purchased. I believe there is an Oscar and Silver Dollar, but unsure what the blue one is, can somebody enlighten me ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=263976335

Regards,

NzQuiet1

yes i think it is a powder blue and it should not be in the same tank as Oscar's and especially silver dollars because of the different pH needs. it would be better off in a malawi cichlid tank and also the silver dollar would be better in groups of about 5 this will help them to be less shy :) 8)

Some people call Ps. Socolofi powder blues some call Metriaclima callainos (sometimes called cobalts) powder blues it is all a common name and means nothing.. The fish closely resembles a socolofi to me too, unsure if it is pure and it is very hard to tell..

Good buy though!

yes i think it is a powder blue and it should not be in the same tank as Oscar's and especially silver dollars because of the different pH needs. it would be better off in a malawi cichlid tank and also the silver dollar would be better in groups of about 5 this will help them to be less shy :) 8)

Yeah that was what I was thinking when looking at the auction, but I figured, once I get them home then I can realign them back to normal environments. The Oscar is something I have always wanted, but doesn't really fit in with my other community tank, so may well look to passing him onto somebody more experienced that me.

omg $100 that was a good buy!!!! cool fish too :D

agree there, was surprised no other bidders on that one.

It's an african cichlid. That's all you really need to know, they're all the same fish just with different paintjobs. :P

I love this description :-) Very well put.

or i was gonna say Pseudotropheus socolofi cross by something else

In checking the various sites and pictures around, I'm thinking you may well be right here. Its the closest match. Will be collecting the tank on Sunday so then will know for sure :-)

Thank you all for your input and for ID'ing and confirming what I had. Much appreciated.

NzQuiet1.

i know this is completly off topic but how do you quote more than one person??

down the bottom (scroll down) of the reply you can review the entire thread, from there you can click the individual quote buttons to bring them into the one reply :-)

down the bottom (scroll down) of the reply you can review the entire thread, from there you can click the individual quote buttons to bring them into the one reply :-)

Haha, I didn't know you could do that. I usually just manually type in the tags and then copy and paste.

STHU nub!