Bearded dragons

reptilez

I am a new beardie owner to little Athena. Only picked her up on the 22nd December. She is now 8 weeks old. And seems to be doing well.

But very picky about her vege's.She will eat a couple of slivers of shedded carrot, and bits of banana,strawberry,but only if put under her nose and wiggled.

She never goes near her vege dish.

In fact spends most of her day way up high happily lazing around on greenery, opp end of heat lamp.

How can I get her to be more enthused about her vege's? :-?

i read that when they are young they are more of a insect lover but when they get older they eat more veges and less insects.

make sure you dont leave the bugs in the enclousure at night the bugs can bite the bearded dragon while they are sleeping

hope this helps

Tully, have a read of the info on foods that is a link to the care sheet for beardies and it shows you vegetable food to feed every day as well as food that you can feed only now and again. Staple food should be high in calcium, low in phosphorus and oxalates and be cheap and easy to get. Dandelion leaves are like that.

At this stage, bug feeding is being done in a plastic bin, that way I know she is getting the crickets, and how many, + the fact that none are in the large habitat over night.

As soon as she sees me getting the plastic bin ready, she often motors over to the front of the habitat ready and waiting for food.

• 2 weeks later...

About what size should a nearly a 2 1/2 mnth old dragon be. Athena's DOB 1/11/09.

I worry that she is growing big enough. I still feed her in a sep bin, but some days only wants to eat 5 or 6 med crickets, gives up chasing the others, and scrambles to get out of the bin.

topped up later with a flukers cricket or two.

Size now approx 17cm nose to tip of tail on the 11/01/09.

She seems bright and alert, prefers to have crickets held to her on the forceps.

Still picky with vege and fruit. Is offered to her daily, and wriggled under her nose.

Still worrried mum to Athena.

I have never fed them in a seperate container. I feed locusts and salad because the locusts can be left in there most of the time when they are young and they eat when they want. As they get older they will eat when they feel like it and some days may not eat at all. Main thing is to keep them hydrated I think.

Be okay if she would eat the salad.

Feed seperate container, that way I know the quantity, and I don't want crickets hiding in the substrate.

Too many places for the bugs to hide in the main habitat.

At present eating approx 10 -up to 14 crickets a day.Calium coated. .

Last couple of days only 8-9 though.

Spitzed daily, and gently bathed x2 weekly.Vit drop x2 weekly on her back.

We all have our own way. I feed neonate locusts (because I am a bit paranoid about crickets and like to have food there most of the time if they want to eat it)coated in calcium in the morning then uncoated for the rest of the day up to 10-12 each daily. Salad is mainly dandelion leaves and courgette cut up fine and sprayed with liquid vitamins most days. I spray them with warm water in an icecream container every morning then let them sit in the water while I make the salad. If they are regularly leaving you a mess to clean up they must be eating and if they are active and alert they should be OK.