What sort of frog is this?

axolotl-danio

Definitely Litoria Aurea. No sign of bumpy skin is the give away.

The pictures are not very clear but going by the fourth pic the lateral line looks broken which would indicate that they could be southern bells. If they are, then they will survive, but the aurea have been introduced pretty well all over NZ but only survive in the top of the North Island.

The breaking up of the green patterns indicates that its not getting enough uv rays. Its common in NZ to indentify L.Raniformis with its green dorsal line running down its back, however in Australia this is not a comprehensive way to distinguish the two species. Also I have a relative who has Litoria Aurea just north of Foxton and have also seen one on the Kapiti Coast however this was at a plant shop so it was most probably been transported down from up North.

The breaking up of the green patterns indicates that its not getting enough uv rays. Its common in NZ to indentify L.Raniformis with its green dorsal line running down its back, however in Australia this is not a comprehensive way to distinguish the two species. Also I have a relative who has Litoria Aurea just north of Foxton and have also seen one on the Kapiti Coast however this was at a plant shop so it was most probably been transported down from up North.

interesting about not getting enough uv rays.

i just thought thats what southern bells looked like, wheras the aurea have more defined markings and no line on back.

in regards to the green line it seems to also depend on what camo the bell wants to show whether or not this will even be visible. so maybe those aussies just need to be more observant :lol:

I have been lead to believe there is some difference in the texture of the skin between the two species. I think it is L.raniformis which is bumpier although in a froglet this is probably of no use in identification

Just out of interest does anyone know if they hybridise?

Just out of interest does anyone know if they hybridise?

i suspect its possible but the frogs ive seen around do seem to be either one species or the other.

i tried to bred southerns with aurea and had them doing everything accept laying eggs. maybe just not time but within a day of getting rid of the southern males and adding more aurea i had fertile spawn.

Here's a Southern Bell i came across down here in Kapiti region from one of our wetland sanctuaries,

IMGA0270-1.jpg

Notice the frog is still absorbing its tail, but has distinctive bumps on its back. I would suspect there is a greater risk of hybridization more north where the two species inter mix. It is known to happen in Australia but is rare as they come from different regions, L.Raniformis South Australia and Tasmania, L.Aurea NSW. Unlike here wheres its more geographically insignificant. I would also expect that the Australians would have more knowledge in these species as they are native there and highly endangered.

Another photo with a L.Raniformis with no green dorsal line,

DSC01683.jpg

that Kapiti frog sure looks intermediate between the species to me, a real stump the experts one

It could be, however i had the advantage of seeing and hearing Southern Bells where i found this fella.

Here's what i would call a Green/Golden Bell (about 1 month old)

1135.jpg