Possible problem with oscar pair

Vinnie

Well today my oscars decided to start showing all the signs of getting ready to try and breed, at first I thought this is great but then saw this ain't good as I don't have another tank big enough to move them to, and the tank there in now has a few different kinds of fish that could get picked on if they start getting really stroppy.

Just wondering what ways I could go from here - would love to get a big enough tank to try and breed them, but just don't have the room, and don't want to move them on as the wife and I love em

So maybe a tough call to make later on.....

Don't really want to put a divider in this tank as a) its a big tank. b) its our main display tank so don't really want to slap a big sheet of glass or plastic in the middle of it.

In the end it may end up like that but am going to try and stay away from it for now

I'm trying to convince my landlord to let me have more tanks (even though I don't really have room :-? ) and if I can I will try to make room for a 4 foota for em. But I doubt I will be aloud to :lol:

Not sure how big your tank is, but my pair bred in a 600l tank with a number of other fish in with them at the time. Admittedly, I never got past wrigglers with them, as I wasn't interested in trying to find homes for dozens of baby Oscars, but the aggression they showed towards the other fish was limited to keeping them away from their spawning rock. They took over maybe a quarter of the tank and pretty much kept to that part of it while they had eggs in the tank. That's just my experience, but I found my Oscars to be far less aggressive when spawning than Cons or my Sev pairs.

Ah thats good to know, there in a tank thats about 800 liters at the mo so if they keep to them selves for the most part it should be fine. As soon as I see free swimming fry though I'll siphon them out and rase them in the sump (If i'm lucky enough to get that far)