Was octagonal tank design, now corner tank design.

kiwipete

Well after a couple of years without the octagonal tank I built, the good lady has convinced me to make another, but BIGGER :bounce:

Here is a picture of the old one i had.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z218 ... ure030.jpg

The new one will replace this tank. 46x46x92cm

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z218 ... 1260763982

Now for the new tank.

I am thinking of the base being 80cm high, 60cm wide and the tank itself 100cm high. The cabinet top will simply lift off for access.

Yes it's going to be rather big, but it is to be a feature tank too that'll sit nicely in a the corner of the lounge. I will be beefing up the floor boards so it doesn't go through it. :oops: This corner of the room has windows on both sides too so I will need to think carefully of what background I am to have in it to give shade from the sun. Lighting is going to be another issue too, but there are some nice round fluorescent lights on the market. Or maybe I go for halogen. a black light would be nice to have at night too.

Would 10mm glass be sufficient or should I look at something thicker?

Maybe black glass for the back to act as shade from the sun?

Is there any added bracing I need to think about?

Might get a FX5 filter for it too as it will make draining water easier, dunno how im going to add water, I will need a stepladder. :o Want a spray bar on top and another hose running directly in the tank forcing water down.

This will be a project well after new year so I am open for anny ideas, suggestions and criticisms.

Oh, I forgot to say that I will plant the tank and use water from the old one, let the plants establish themselves then transfer my fish. Thinking coarse white sand.

because its so deep the lighting could be an issue for plants perhaps a 70w MH would be better or at least a few 2ft VHO t5 tubes. the circular tubes would be near impossible to find in a higher colour temperature so you would pretty much be stuck with a yellowish light(halogen would be the same)

because its so deep the lighting could be an issue for plants perhaps a 70w MH would be better or at least a few 2ft VHO t5 tubes. the circular tubes would be near impossible to find in a higher colour temperature so you would pretty much be stuck with a yellowish light(halogen would be the same)

Yes, good points, thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have decided to scrap this idea because there is too greater chance of the panels separating with the water pressure.

I am however going to look at a large corner tank with 3 faces to the front. A little hard to describe but imagine a triangle with the two back sides being equal in length. The front panel will be something like a bay window is with the centre panel being twice the length of the outer panels. Make scene?

I think this will give a better surface area, will not be as high and be easier to brace.

Dimensions I am thinking of are something along the lines of 600 x 600 at the back and 300 x 500 x 300 in the front and 600 high. I need to draw it out on a large sheet of cardboard to see if the dimensions are balanced looking. Glass will be 10mm thick and tinted at the back to prevent light entering through the corner windows it will be against. I also want to make a nice polystyrene rock wall for the back too. Possibly black substrate.

Can anyone see any issues with this design?