Tank Conversion Log - Planted African to Catfish tank

phoenix44

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so finally the tank is taking the form I want it to. Some of the plants need settling in, but one of my crypts (petchii_sp? I think it is called has sent out a flower stalk).

got some more swords, rotala varieties and some ludwigia.

I was sitting back about to go to sleep looking at the tank, grabbed my phone and took a few pics. Hope you like them. I just realised I've been gazing at the tank and its inhabitants for about 30 minutes now. very therapeutic indeed.

26122009132Small.jpg

26122009136Small.jpg

26122009137Small.jpg

Hope you guys like it. The tank still has a long way to go, but so far its going well minus the small algae incident.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm going though that atm, does it just disappear? I hope so cos I am about to double the lighting on the tank :lol:

it disappears in time, but now i have that staghorn algae thing again and that's not easy to get rid of. i cant see the tank for the next few days but hopefully it will be gone when i get back.

As far as cleaning goes there is plenty filtration on this tank as it is pretty heavily stocked, and has a lot of plant matter. 2 x fluval 405's and 1 x eheim 2028. I do regular water changes but also have this fancy Eheim gravel vacuum cleaning thing that sucks up and holds all the solid gunk. its impossible for me to even get near the plant roots but sometimes when I know it gets overly gunky i shove the plants aside and try getting in. apart from that, its all good but is admittedly a pain to properly gravel vac, cause there is always the risk of sucking up the JBL balls.