Tank Conversion Log - Planted African to Catfish tank

phoenix44

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Im going back to a planted tank, mainly with my catfish and more to come, and perhaps some discus in the future.

The tanks transformation is as follows:

DSC06431Small.jpg

to:

DSC06442Small.jpg

that is calcuim, shells etc at the base, for the sword plants mainly. I haven't kept a lot of swords but this will form the major plant in this tank.

The brochis seems to enjoy the shells

DSC06438Small.jpg

I did not remove any of the plecos and other fish during the tank change, just removed the rocks and the fish that needed to be gone, and left the others in.slowly added my substrate that ive used in a previous planted tank - i really wanted daltons sand but given stress, and time constraints I remembered the effory i went through to make this gravel and so i used it again. its great for plants.

DSC06444Small.jpg

I put some schist at the bottom, so that this time I actually can give my fish some space to swim once the plants boom - and boom they will with 210W of t5 HO light

also set up a box with an extra filter for the plants and the bristlenose that refused to leave his wooden home

DSC06440Small.jpg

DSC06441Small.jpg

The plants in this tank at the moment are some small amazon swords that don't get huge so cover the ground, 5 plants of "rose sword" - am unsure but i presume this is an osiris of some sort. Moss (lets call it Xmas moss) on some of the wood, ludwigia arcuata and rotala rotundifolia at the background. I need more crypts as this is to be a leafy tank but seeing as ive given most of my old plants away - crypts may be a bit hard to get at the moment cheaply.

moss on wood

DSC06446Small.jpg

DSC06447Small.jpg

and my syno euptera - ive had him since he was like 2-3 cm, bought him as an upside down catfish. I also have a true upsidedown cat, and need more, as ive had him for 4 years now and he needs to be in a schoal.

Nice. There is some macaranda around...

do you have any? I deliberately did not buy the last batch, now feel like ive missed out. :(

I'll post you a baby from this crypt if you want:

:D Wendtii green? that stuff is awesome - :hail:

I'd love some of it.

i have to pester supasi now for some more varieties.

there are lots of crypts on the lists, but id rather get them submersed.

they get tons of other ones, and usually have lots of wendetii that diddn't melt on me so I'm guessing it was grown submersed for a while but none when I wanted some more :roll:

Do you want some crypt affinis?

Let me know :wink:

Can't guarantee it won't melt in the post, though.

i tell them not to melt! :D

do you still have my address? maybe ill send you some apo. undulatus sometime then :lol: (if you dont already have it).

__

And a BIG thanks, to JenniferH for those beautiful crypts! :hail::D

Ahh, so you haven't moved yet?

I have undulatus - I found this corm rolling around in my 2ft guppy tank that had a couple of weasely roots on it, so I stuffed it in the substrate and bingo - undulatus!

I got it from an ex NZKA member a few years ago and thought it had gone into hibernation or whatever it is and then disappeared, he said it was crispus, but the end of the leaves are too round.

It has sprouted a long thingy without a leaf on it that is running across the top of my tank, so hopefully it may be a pup.

Will send the crypts next week.

Ahh, so you haven't moved yet?

I just moved into the lounge. Now apart from not having a wardrobe and having more clothes and shoes than most women, there is enough space for all my stuff, tanks and the bird. :D :lol:

Will send the crypts next week.

Thanks! :D

Do king killies jump (i tried googling them and nothing comes up)?