Our tank - Advice and Ideas Please :)

bobo

Looks good :D, but I would put the rocks on more of an angle from the front,it should help give the tank more depth than it actually has (instead of strait) the planting plan sounds good as well but I would stick the val on one side only due to how it floats along the top

so what did you end up using as a substrate? I can't tell from the pic

I would have the BN if he was a male and you lived closer :P(I have a female that wants a friend)

Yeah, We planned on an angle and it isn't quite as sharp as wished - will modify.

Used about 90% Flourite, 10% Sand - I didn't think I was going to have enough Flourite (so was buffering with sand), but I actually figured out part way through I didn't actually need any sand at all.

Flourite, yes?

A very fresh setup, heaps of potential. Personally I'd have gone with larger rocks but if i had to use those rocks, I'd space them out a bit.

Other than that, planting plan seems good.

Yeah - we didn't want the stones to 'dominate' - we want the plants and 'space' to act as the features, but will certainly experiment with some larger rocks.

Cheers guys :)

The concept:

Of course I have never actually tried to 'realise' one of these tanks before, but this is the general idea:

Image One - The concept we liked best from the three:

ss850406.jpg

Image Two - The following two concepts we canned.

ss850407.jpg

Image Three - We decided to rework the first image, with the stones of the one above (thanks Morcs ;p); this is the image we are working with, but I'm going to cut up the uniformity of the left hand side somewhat.

ss850408.jpg

I think the next step will be to draw a floor plan - not sure if that will happen though.

Now that I am starting to plant (just got some Ambulia - thanks Gill), how densely do I plant? Do I try to get the ambulia as close togather as possible? Or leave a little space between each stem?

A pic prior to planting (cos it's funny):

ss850420r.jpg

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

So, an update and some questions (naturally):

ss850465.jpg

That's how it's looking. I'm happy with how it's going.

1) I'm not sure the val is going to give us the look that we want - we are after quite a dense backdrop - and I think that if it does get quite dense, it will require a lot of plants in a narrow space, and may also cause light issues. So, I was thinking of using something like this in the back row: hygrophilalacustris.jpg

Any other good backdrop plants?

2) Should we start fertlising? Some plants have only been in a couple of days, but some have been in a couple of weeks (the ambulia). I was thinking of adding low amounts of excel and flourish supplement and gradually building up?

3) Glosso planting: I just pulled it into plantlets and then plugged them (quite forcefully) into the ground until only the leaves were sticking up. Is that how to do it?

4) Any ideas on the other plants? Was thinking:

- some kind of crypt along the front left.

- a feature plant beside the macandra, with more stems around it.

-another feature plant on the right hand side.

- what would you use as feature plants? I was thinking of an anubias and tiger lotus.

5) Getting a dusting of green algae on the glass - just something to put up with when setting up a planted tank? Or can I do something to prevent it?

6) Finally...hehe... I have raised the lights by a couple of inches to stop the glass heating up and to provide easier access to the tank; that won't hurt the amount of light that the plants are getting (in any appreciable way)?

As always, I appreciated your help :)

Cheers