questions about..snails..fish tails..and..filters

geana_wolf

Hi everyone :D

First question...what do that snails eat? Algue? if there is none in the tank can you give them anything else to eat. my two have lasted a while and i dont really want them to starve lol.

Also after being moved one of my goldfish has a split in his tail it dosn't seem to be getting worse i was just wondering if it will heal? or is he stuck looking scruffy? :-?

and my filter question is how many times should the tanks volume be filtered in a hour? and is it possible to over filter? and one more please lol...is it ok to turn a filter off at night ,keeping in mind the tank has two filters one is just to noisy at night.

Thanks. Leah

what do snails eat?

they eat whatever they feel like... lol, waste algae, dead/dying things, plants....

not sure about the goldfish, a pic would help but it should eventually heal but won't look the same

filtering a tank all depends on what you have in it(plants,fish,ect) and the type of filter (canister,undergravel,internal) could you expand on this please :D it would help

turing off one filter probably won't hurt, but depends on the above^

:-? take a photo of a fish lol...Ill try...you dont know my fish he's crazy!

And as to the filters one is a Fluval 3 internal filter and the other one is the tanks built in filter its on one of thoes aqua one tanks with the filter and the lights in the hood and its that one i have been turning off at night and leaving the Fluval one going. Thanks for the help im going to try take a photo now lol...

Leah

I would not keep turning the filter off. They need the flow. If you are turning it off because it is noisy at night, perhaps try muffling it with more filter wool or raising the water level if possible.

The goldfish tail will heal.

I'm not sure how many timeas an hour it is supposed to be but 5x popped into my mind for some reason :-?

You can't over-filter unless the current is so strong the fish are plastered to the end wall of the tank :o

I put a second filter in so that i could turn the noisy one off. Do you think i should just not use the noisy one at all? theres plenty of flow in there at night the Fluval gives the fish a thrill when they swim past it :wink: they must like it becasue they always go back for more. I did try making the water higher in the tank to stop the noise but it still to noisy and i do leave the bubbles going all night i can sleep with them on for some reason.

Oh and i forgot to mention there are no plants in the thank at the moment. need to find some that goldfish wont kill and im not having alot of luck yet :(

Bacteria in the filter will die in around 2 hours so turning it off is not a good idea and will lead to problems with the fish. Have the filter circulate the water around 3 times per hour. Put a bit of salt in the tank for the tail as this will help it heal.