what female would I need to put with a red tux male

BikBok

to get red tux offspring?

I've got a thread in diseases because i ended up accidentally buying a male tuxedo with a bent spine that swims kind of wobbly. But he has a lovely big red tail. I bought it sight unseen and hubby picked it up for me on the way home from work. The fish is currently separated from any females.

I wasn't going to breed from him because of the deformity but am having trouble finding a nice red tail tuxedo that i can breed from. So thinking about putting him with one of my girls in the hopes of getting a nice red tux boy.

My girls are: yellow tail tuxedo, goldens, and a grey with a tail that looks fluoro/neon blue. Would any of these give me a red tail boy?

thanks for any advice.

The best bet to have a Red Tux offpring is with the fluoro/neon blue tux female, you will get good red tux as well as neon blue tux.

The tux girl with plain tail will give you red tux as well but not as good as with the neon blue, the others will give you a dull red tux, anyways as what SamH says,there is no harm in trying them all.

You mentioned that you wanted big tail fin, the only one that will give good big tail in the first generation is the female with the widest tail, so choose that one whichever it is.

Depending on how bent he is, he might not be able to do the job. Is he bent down because the tail is heavy or does he have a crooked spine?

Thanks Cesarz

very informative. I will try him with one at a time as I don't want him in the main tank and end up with a whole heap of little crooked fish lol.

His spine is not grossly bent but enough to notice that it's not straight. looks like a little humpback. The wobbly swimming is also noticeable. But he swims fast and I did have him in the main tank for a day and he had no problems chasing and mating with a golden guppy he took a liking to. (she belongs to my snakeskin so he's not allowed her!!)

Thanks for your help. Will be intersting to see how it all pans out.

His spine is not grossly bent but enough to notice that it's not straight. looks like a little humpback.

He is okey to use as a breeder then, he is like that due to his large tail, try choosing the female with the thickest peduncle so that the next generation is strong enough to carry the tail horizontally and not get dragged by it which results in this kind of bent spine.

well we have decided to take him back to the breeder and keep lookign around for a red tux elsewhere. Will just be easier starting with a straight back!

Just wondering though, what would my yellow tail tux and neon blue female produce? Could I get neon tuxedos from that mix?

well we have decided to take him back to the breeder and keep lookign around for a red tux elsewhere. Will just be easier starting with a straight back!

Just wondering though, what would my yellow tail tux and neon blue female produce? Could I get neon tuxedos from that mix?

Yep, you'll get Neon Blue tux and Yellow tux as well. Also, yes better to start with stock that do not have any defects.

These are my young Red Tux. I used the better shaped male on the left and and tried to get rid of the black specks on the tail and add red on the dorsal, not much luck with his offspring and had to use the other male (the one on the right) whose characteristics are already fixed and had a better result, so if you want to breed to a certain look or standard, start with one that is really close to what you want to achieve.

crzRedTailMoscow.jpg