white spots on rock

chimera

i have a couple of rocks in my tank covered in little white spots (up to a couple of square mm each, average about 1mm square) These only came up when i looked in the tank this morning and are only covering a couple of rocks high up in the tank. any ideas what they maybe? i will try and get a pic up here tonight.

btw, i searched the net and found this answer from a post on another forum:

Your lighting may be different from what the live rock is used to. White spots form where coralline dies. The rock will adjust to its new environment in time. Make sure you are adding calcium and your magnesium is where it should be and the coralline will grow back.

sounds like it could be the case? (coz the rock is covered in corraline otherwise)

blotches of white. dont seem to be worms.

btw, i also got a rabbitfish for my tank this morning. he seems happy as! i reckon they're such beautiful fish. plain compared to some (such as some species of angel) - but personally i just love the colourings!

Chimera - Where did you get the Rabbit Fish from as they are not 'on the list' and are poisonous. Maybee you should take the photo down, don't want MAF in here asking questions, someone may get in trouble.

Nice fish though, may hammer soft corals and Xenia. My rabbit fish eats Xenia instantly but hasn't touched any other softies.

Pies

sourced it through a mate. its been in a friends tank for ages so probably before MAF had there regulations as not being "on the list". not to worry, its only poisonous if i touch it

Its never been legal to bring it into NZ, ever, and the fact that its poisonous makes it 'doubble illegal'.

That being said its a stupid law and I wish MAF would sort out the 'lists'. I really would love to see some REAL live rock for sale.

Pie

it's a "Siganus" which is on the list of allowed fish according to MAF. does it really matter? should we post some blue starfish up on the site too and get maf really intrigued? its likely most of this stuff has been here before MAF got so anal with their import regulations. obviously what comes in now is as legal as it can be.

My rabbit fish eats Xenia instantly but hasn't touched any other softies

isnt that claiming you are outside of maf regulations too?

Yes I have a rabbit fish, I brought it from Brooklands.

The point is don't want to advertise stuff that we souldn't have, expecially on here, a site with a close relation ship with MAF. I don't think anyone cares, but only takes one person to make a big deal out of it and we all loose.

Secerets! PM me a photo of your lionfish.

Pies