tank background

Caryl

Pegasus mentioned the idea of coating a pvc pipe with silicone and rolling it in gravel to make a more natural home for fish. This reminded me of something one of our club members did to make an interesting looking backdrop for her tank.

She got a thick sheet of polystyrene and cut it to fit inside the tank tightly. She then used a gas ring to heat a loop of wire and used it to scoop out caves etc in the polystyrene. When it was all suitably craggy and river bank-looking, she coated small areas of it at a time with silicone and stuck the gravel on. She was also able to scoop out pouches halfway up the sheet to plant plants in. The final effect looked great and just like a river bank.

It was a long tedious job though and she knew she would never take up glue sniffing as a hobby! :D

She worked on it outside to make sure the fumes were carried away.

Hi Caryl

I would be very cautious using poly in a fishtank. Some contain a toxic substance which might be released if another substance is added. You never know what goes into a tank unless you are an industrial chemist.

It is worth thinking about it

John

Hi everyone

Here in Australia Mc Donald had to stop using styro in their packaging because of a cancer scare!!! Also no building site is allowed to use 'Lily' cups (same material). There is probably a reason why.

John

• 1 month later...

I assume different things are added to make styrofoam as opposed to polystyrene. I recently toured a polystyrene factory (the raw product is really interesting) where they make containers for fish (dead ones ready for supermarkets etc), wine bottles and insulated wallboard etc. It was very interesting and I made a point of asking if it would release toxins if used in an aquarium. The tour guide said not. Tests had been run on it for toxicity and all sorts of other stuff.

Whether they did any tests with aquariums in mind is another matter mind you! :D

I know of a number of people who use it attached to spawning mops and others who use it as a background and have yet to hear of it causing problems in a tank. Nothing wrong with a bit of caution though and John1 has a valid point about us not being industrial chemists.

• 2 weeks later...

I too think that john has a good point.

I have heard that PVC, while being compleatly safe to use in it`s present state releases extremly toxic chemicals when it is burnt. I hered a story where a company reused some PVC pipe that was damaged in a fire for a re-circulation system and they got a lot of dead fish :o . While polystyrean is not PVC i would be very carful about putting burnt/melted plastics into an aquarium.