Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Swordtails!

Featured Replies

Just thought i'd share my excitement with everyone haha. Went to Animates yesterday as I've been setting up tank number two, and I wanted some swordtails to go in it. I bought a male and two females, didn't realise how heavily pregnant one of them was until I got home, so I scooped her out and put her in a breeding net, which we'd just stopped using for my evil balloon ram to have time out thank god! :P

I felt bad about putting her in there so I decided maybe i'd just let her out, I looked in and there was three tiny little babies! By midnight there was 12. So in the space of a few hours i've gone from three swords to 15. So excited! First babies makes fish keeping an even more exciting hobby! Now hopefully my blue rams follow their lead. :P

  • Author

The woman at the shop said it's best to just let nature take it's course but I couldn't bring myself to let them get eaten! She still looks pretty dark so there may be more although this morning she jumped out of the breeding net back in to the tank. But at least I saved a few!

  • Author

I have one of those plastic traps with the bottom bit they drop through. May have to buy something a bit bigger because i've only just set up tank number two and don't really have the space to set up a third one for babies without expanding my fish collection to the lounge of my flat. :P

Trying to work out how fast they will grow and when they can go into the tank without being eaten!

I have one of those plastic traps with the bottom bit they drop through. May have to buy something a bit bigger because i've only just set up tank number two and don't really have the space to set up a third one for babies without expanding my fish collection to the lounge of my flat. :P

Trying to work out how fast they will grow and when they can go into the tank without being eaten!

they will take a while to grow to a stage where you can put them in with the parents - assume that if they can fit in the mouth they will be eaten :)

  • Author

I've seen on the internet that in about 8 weeks they should be about right to go back in the tank. Obviously this will vary but it gives me a rough idea. Hopefully they grow fast because with two females i've realised I could be in for a lot more babies in a month or two!

  • Author

I've taken them out and they're already looking bigger. Not going to risk putting any back for awhile haha. Too excited hoping all 12 survive. Looking so good!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.