my endless fish problem - dropsy

piggyvir

I suspect my dearest Oranda has dropsy

- she hasn't been eating for a week

- initially stuck at the bottom of the tank, but now she's swimming "happily"

- start developing pinep-cone like scale

- swelled abdominal

I am now treating her with Dropys & Ulcers solution I bought (http://www.aquapharmlabs.com/fresh/medi ... /index.asp, quick remedy 2). However, the nitrite level in my tank is still very high...

I used to do water change every second day to lower it (55 L tank) and I am just wondering should I still keep my water change during the treatment period?

You need to keep a close eye on this problem. Dropsy is the signs that are caused by water retention when the kidneys fail from any number of reasons. Unless you know what has caused the kidney failure it is very difficult to treat so for all intent it is incurable. No doubt you are atatched to your fish but there is no point in prolonging a long and perhaps painful death. What are the active ingredients in this product as pop eye is not related to dropsy as far as I know? You will need to make sure that the treatment is not killing the nitrofying bacteria and causing a spike in ammonia and nitrite.

I think the cause of the disease is due to the nitrite... I have been trying my vesty best to keep the nitrite down but I failed to do so. Now my fish hasn't been "excreting" for a while and today, I finally spotted her pushing out clear poo .....

is it a good sign? I also read from the net that Epsom salt bath would help... should I try??

• 2 weeks later...